Chapter 1- Pirate Complications

Start from the beginning

"Katsu! Get back to work!" Mamoru growled.

Snapping out of the weird daze, I puffed out my cheek at Mamoru. Jumping over the bar I looked at straw hat and smiled. "Okay, what would you like?"

"Meat!" He answered, rather loudly, grinning at me.

I nodded, "Sure thing!"

Turning I placed the order in Mamoru's hand, making sure to slap his hand hard. "You better get started on cooking." I smirked when his eye narrowed on me.

Knowing better than to suggest I cook, he grumbled out a complaint and went into the kitchen. That left me in charge of the drinks and the drunken pirates. "Oi! Lady, bring over some more sake!"

Turning back around, I placed my gaze on the drunken pirates. They were already way past the limit we normally set on our customers, which was quite high as our costumes were pirates who typically drank a lot. Seeing the sight of slight swaying, I knew it was about time to cut them off. "Are you sure? You've already drunk quite a bit, and your bill is pretty high."

Before he could say anything else, he face planted the table. His crew mates were too lost in their drunken mind to pay much attention. I shrugged, as long as they payed the bill it wouldn't matter. Taking out a rag I started cleaning the counter, which was sticky from the alcohol.

"Katsu!" I looked up, hearing the familiar voice. Yumi stood at the bar entrance, out of breath.

"What's up?" I asked, knowing she was in charge of informing Mamoru of any danger.

"There's a fight! Jiro's been shot too!" She stammered, not used to one of our own being injured during a fight.

I blinked, jumping over the bar. Glancing at strawhat, who was currently staring at me, I said, "Mamoru will bring you your meat." Turning to Yumi I ordered, "Which way?"

"That-" She started to point, then shook her head. "I'll just lead you there!" She corrected herself, remembering I was a little bit directional challenged.

Yumi was one of the younger ex-pirates here. Granted of course, I was the youngest that actually lived here. She was in her young thirties, and actually started to live here when she was in her late twenties. When she moved here she was actually pregnant, and it was decided from the father and her that she should settle down. However, she had a 2 million beli reward for her capture, so settling down in a small town was not possible. She decided to stay here, since it was as safe as a pirate, who wanted to settle down, could get. However, on her way here, her husband, who she has yet to actually reveal, was captured in a marine attack. Later that week he was executed.

Along with that marine attack, she had been injured. Upon arriving here it was discovered that she had miscarried. The reasoning behind the miscarry was obvious, it was her injury that had happened. Though she could have continued on her career as a pirate, at that time she was too overcome with grief. In a matter of a month and a half she had lost her husband, and their child.

Perhaps that's why she was protective of me. She doted on me like, I would imagine, a mother would. She got on Mamoru for being too harsh on me. She showed me how to fight with daggers, her weapon of choice. She voiced her dislike for me taking part in Mamoru's job in protecting the island. She even voiced a small complaint in me becoming a pirate, but soon changed her mind as Mamoru reminded her of her freedom. Yumi treated me like I was her child. She was like the mother I didn't remember.