(Chapter 18) Something Worth Living For

Beginne am Anfang

Their conversation had been light and good humoured. Chloe, of course, dominated most of the chatter, not that either Eric or Allison minded. She was happy, real happy and Eric had a feeling it had something to do with them almost being a family. Allison could see it too, Eric could tell, but hadn’t said anything about it. He sensed that she was somehow holding back, not telling him something. There was an instant, as their eyes had met across the table, Eric could Ally was happy too. Did she love the feel of them being family too?

He’d wanted to question the look he’d saw in her eyes, but didn’t want to push it or her, not when he was still trying to smooth his way into her good graces.

When Chloe had been put to bed later that night, he and Allison had enjoyed another glass of wine. They chattered some more, reminiscing about the old days. There had been a lot of mild flirtation on Eric’s part. Allison hadn’t reacted to it, but Eric could tell that she was affected by it when her lips would form into a slight smile or when her cheeks would suddenly flame ever so slightly when he mentioned the heated moments of their relationship.

He wanted to tell her last night. He wanted tell her he loved her, that he wanted her back, but knew it would be a mistake if he told her so soon after he’d broken things off with Heather. Ally wasn’t a rebound girl to him, nor did he want one. He wanted her, wanted a lifelong commitment to only her. They’d wasted enough time being apart.

And whose fault was that.

It was his and his alone, he acknowledged. If he hadn’t been so stubborn, so focused on being the best at what he does, he wouldn’t have missed out on one of life’s greatest pleasures. Being a father and specifically, being a father to Chloe. She was one of the best things to ever happen to him. But then again, that was probably what all parent’s think about their children, he mused.

Children…

He could definitely see himself having more children with Allison. A little boy or girl, one who would look just like her, one Chloe would definitely be crazy about. Eric knew his little girl would be a great older sister. She was great with Jen’s and Paul’s twins. He just hoped that someday he’d be able to give her the younger sibling she so wants and that it would be with Allison.

He wanted to watch her grow with his child, wanted to experience every moment with her. From her morning sicknesses, to her outrageous cravings, to her hormonal mood swings. Yes, he could even take nine months of that if it meant he got to do it with Allison.

“I know daydreaming is something humans enjoy, but could you do it on your own time –” Paul’s voice flooded his thoughts, “and help me haul these things to the van.”

Eric chuckled at his old friend and then slapped him on the shoulder. “Sorry, mate.” He made a move to grab some of the things that they would need to take with them to the beach.

Jen had called him last night, after he’d gotten home from his dinner with Chloe and Ally, and mentioned that she and Paul wanted to spend the day with friends and family. With the summer still beating hot and the beaches looking more and more appealing every day; they decided a splash in the ocean would be perfect.

They’d agreed to meet at Ally’s place the next morning so that they could only use two cars and get everything loaded. Jen had made some snacks, which were already loaded in their van along with other necessities.

“What were you complaining about?” Eric asked when he noticed that the back of his car was barely loaded. “There’s only a cooler box, umbrella, two bags and blankets that needed to be loaded.”

“Exactly.” Paul responded as they made their way back into the house. “You’re still lucky Ally packs light. My wife, whom I love with all my heart, really doesn’t know the meaning of light packing.”