(Chapter 12) Something Worth Living For

Chapter 12

Eric glanced at his watch impatiently for what seemed like the hundredth time in the last ten minutes. Heather was late, which seemed to only add to Eric earlier frustration with her.

His entire morning was an utter mess. All he could think about was his impending conversation with Heather, wondering how she would take the news of his long lost daughter. He knew Heather wasn’t into the idea of having kids, but he hoped that she would at least be able to accept Chloe in their lives.

Would she be able to accept her? A voice kept asking him.

There was no chance for him to answer his fears, as a familiar voice greeted him from behind.

“Hey you,”

Eric turned to see Allison along with Chloe approaching him. His heart plummeted for an instant, but he was careful to place an easy smile on his face. He didn’t need them to be aware the unease he felt at the unexpected presence.

“Hey!” he greeted them, sounding a bit forced to his own ears, but Allison didn’t seem to notice.

“We didn’t expect to see you here. What are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same thing.” He countered, wanting to avoid her inquisition.

“Chloe and I are running some errands, but I needed a pick-me-up and she loves those donuts with the sprinkles, so I figured we’d treat ourselves to something good.” She replied smiling at Chloe.

“Hey, don’t I get a hello?” Eric held his arms open and enfolded Chloe in a bear hug, scooping her up in his arms.

“You know you’re getting bigger each time I see you.”

Chloe giggled, “That’s because I’m almost seven.”

“Well that explains a lot. So where are you guys headed?” he asked as he placed Chloe on feet again, doing a quick scan to see if he could spot Heather in the lunch time rush.

“To the mall. I have the day off and thought we’d have some fun after we ran our errands.” Allison replied.

“Well, don’t give your mom a hard time okay.” Eric said to Chloe with a playful glint in his eyes.

“I never give momma a hard time.”

“Yeah, she’s a sweetie. My angel.”

“Yup, I’m an angel. Besides, my birthday’s coming up and I want to have a party, but I can only have one if I’m a good girl.” Chloe stated.

“She has ulterior motives. Something she definitely gets from her mom.”

Eric’s eyes met Allison’s, a hint of a smile played at his lips, as the slightest blush crept up Allison’s cheeks.

“Well, we’re women. We know how to play our cards just right so we can get what we want.” She joked, making Eric laugh in agreement.

Things were just so easy with Allison, Eric thought. There was no room to fumble or feel inadequate when you were with her. In fact he’d been so mesmerised by her laughter, he hadn’t notice Heather come up behind them, until he felt a long, manicured hand slip possessively about his shoulders, as she placed a kiss to his cheek.

“Hey, sorry I’m late.” She half whispered in his ear.

Eric jumped in surprise, his head spinning towards her, “H – hey. You’re late.”

“I said I was sorry about that. Traffic was crazy.”

Eric’s eyes darted between her and a confused looking Allison and the back to her again. Clearly Heather hadn’t noticed Chloe yet and she was pointedly ignoring Allison. He didn’t know why, but this ticked him off.