(chapter 16) Something Worth living For

Chapter 16

Last night had gone well, Eric thought as he sat watching the game on T.V. while Chloe sat by the coffee table with her colours and pages covered in her art. Everybody who had shown up had seemed to have a good time. He’d gotten a few calls this morning from his friends and colleagues, complimenting him on the great night, saying that they should do it again sometime, while many of them seemed to be dotting on Chloe.

He was showered with praise about his well-behaved, good mannered and adorable daughter. Eric knew he couldn’t be prouder of the daughter he had in Chloe, but also knew he couldn’t take all, or any of, the credit for that matter.

Allison had raised Chloe on her own. She had taught her the difference between wrong and right, the way to behave in the presence of adults. Eric knew many children who would have complained at the thought of spending an entire evening at a party where there would be mostly adults. But Chloe hadn’t complained. Not once.

The way she’d charmed the pants off of some the party goers really surprised Eric and as he adoringly watched her now being a child, he had a hard time believing she was that same girl from last night.

Yes, Allison had done a fine job of raising his child. But he knew he’d be there to help her from now on. Granted, half the time he didn’t know what he was doing, but he was getting there. At least he liked to think he was.

Just thinking about Allison had Eric’s mind wondering back to last night and their almost kiss on the balcony. He couldn’t help but wonder what would have happened if Heather hadn’t come out when she had.

Would he have kissed Ally? And if he had, what would that say about him?

He wasn’t in the habit of cheating. He detested the idea in fact. But he knew he couldn’t resist the magnetic pull that had him leaning ever closer to Ally.

He had a longing in him, one he knew shouldn’t exist. Maybe it’s just physical, he mused. After all never in his life had he wanted a woman as much as he’d wanted Ally when they’d been dating.

He’d always thought that once they finally were intimate, that his burning desire for her would pass, die out even. But being with Ally in that way had only made him want her more, made his feelings for her grow only stronger.

He could even now still remember the feel of her naked body pressed beneath his as he explored every inch of her sensuous body. Nobody had brought him to life or tipped him complete over the edge like Ally had.

He knew that if he’d kissed her last night it would have only been for the reason to awaken those parts that only she knew how. Being loved by Ally was more than just heated movements between the sheets. It was more than words could describe.

He’d missed her desperately during those first long nights in New York and had on more than one occasion considered coming back to her, but he’d been stubborn and determined to put his career first. Looking back now, he wondered if he had had the courage to come back to her, to fight for her love would they be in the life he’d imagined for her last night.

He raked a hand through his hair, trying to make sense of all the thoughts that plagued him.

Why was he thinking this much about Allison and their past? Was he living that deeply in regret?

He knew he should be focused on the future, on his future with heather. But how could he when Allison wouldn’t let him go, or maybe he should be saying, when he couldn’t let Allison go.

The cold drifted down his spine as Heather entered the room. She’d been in and out of the apartment all day. She’d barely spoken two words to him since last night when she’d blown up in his face about his moment with Ally on the balcony.