(Chapter 17) Something Worth Living For

Chapter 17

Chloe felt nothing but joy as she sat in the backseat of her daddy’s car. They had just turned onto her street, the name of which her momma had made her memorize in case of an emergency. Her mom was always cautious when it came to her and had made sure that should anything happen that would lead to her being separated from her momma; she was to repeat the address and telephone number to a police officer.

So far, these measures were never needed, as her momma was always watchful of her actions, especially if they were in a public area.

Chloe frowned. Her momma was always looking out for her, making sure she was happy. Chloe could see at times her momma wasn’t always happy herself. She tried her best to be a good girl, trying not to give her anymore grief than she needed.

Her momma deserved to be happy and now with her daddy and Heather no longer getting married, she knew her momma had a chance at a happiness that would give them both the family they desired. Finally she could see that her wish of being a whole family was coming true.

Chloe glanced at her daddy in the front seat. He looked unhappy and it made Chloe sad to see him like this. She needed to work fast, needed to get them together soon, so that her momma and daddy could be happy. So she could be happy too.

“Home again,” her daddy said, as he parked in their driveway.

Chloe unbuckled her seatbelt and hopped out of the car. Her daddy handed her backpack over and she hurriedly raced off in the direction of the house.

Allison heard the car pull up to the house and walked into the front room to greet her daughter. She missed Chloe so much. It was weird, because Chloe had slept at Eric’s place before but somehow Allison could feel something was wrong and had on more than one occasion wanted to call, but Jen had stopped her, saying she needed a break from being a mom and that Eric could handle everything.

It was true; Eric could handle taking care of Chloe. She’d called the Saturday morning before she’d left with Jen and had spoken to both Chloe and Eric, who’d assured her that everything was okay and that if something were to come up he’d call. But still later that day, Allison couldn’t get rid of the feeling that something was up. Looking at the bubble of joy, that was her daughter, who came running through the front door, she knew she’d been worried for nothing.

“Hey angel,” Allison scooped Chloe up into her arms and hugged her close, “So how was your weekend with your dad?”

“It was cool.” Came her nonchalant reply, but she could see the true excitement Chloe felt within her eyes, which only had Allison wondering what had really happened.

“It seems like you had more than just a cool weekend. Did your dad allow you to snack on more than the allowed junk food?” Allison asked with an arched eyebrow and then turned her gaze to Eric’s.

Her heart nearly stopped at the sight of a glum looking Eric. Something had gone wrong. She knew it, but hadn’t listened to her instincts, which she should have because they were never wrong.

“Hey, why don’t you go and put your stuff away. Lucy’s waiting for you in your room. I think she missed you.” Allison rubbed her nose against Chloe’s making the little girl squeal.

“Lucy!” Chloe called as she headed off in the direction of her room.

With Chloe occupied Allison stepped closer to Eric. He looked terrible, like he hadn’t gotten a goodnight’s sleep. His hair was a bit tousled, clear signs that he’d repeatedly run his hand through his hair. He did that, Allison mused, when he was frustrated or had a lot on his mind and by the looks of him, he had a lot running through his mind right about now.