Chapter 13 Something Worth Living For

Chapter 13   

She knew she needed to get that stupid kiss out of her head and fast, when she still couldn’t forget it the next morning. It had only been a simple kiss on the cheek, a goodbye kiss between friends, yet Allison couldn’t help her heart that fluttered at the thought of his soft, moist lips brushing the delicate flesh of her cheek.

She chided herself for acting like a school girl as she felt a slight blush rise to her cheeks once again. She knew she should forget that kiss, but the alternate thoughts in her mind trouble her way to much and had her playing the kiss over again just so she could forget them.

But this time the kiss didn’t help. The flood gates had been opened and now Allison was faced with the harsh words of Heather once again.

Well that squished any thoughts of the kiss.

She lied to Eric yesterday when he asked about what she and Heather had spoken about, because she didn’t want him to know what Heather not only accused her of, but the hateful words she said too.

After Eric had brushed Heather off and headed to Chloe’s room, Heather had immediately turned her accusing glaze on Allison. She had to admit; the look Heather sent her made her feel uncomfortable and had her hurriedly apologising for what Chloe had said, even if she wasn’t responsible for the fancy filled thoughts of her daughter.

“Heather, I’m sorry about-”

Heather held up a hand to stop her, causing Allison to immediately shut her mouth, “Save your apologies. Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing.”

“I don’t know what you’re implying, but whatever it is, you’re wrong.” Allison said defensively.

Heather scoffed at her, “Please, I’m sure you’re the one who put those thoughts into your daughter’s head. It’s obvious that she didn’t think of it all on her own.”

Allison’s anger, which she’d bottled up for Eric’s sake, bubbled to the surface, “Excuse me?” she didn’t like what Heather accused her of, nor the fact that she made Chloe sound like an idiot, “I put no such thoughts into her head and she is quite capable of thinking the thoughts she had. Every child wants to have their parents to be together. It’s not an uncommon thing and frankly, I’m not surprised by it either.

“Oh, so you’re admitting to being a manipulator than?”

“I’m not admitting to anything, least of all that, especially when I’m innocent.” Allison exclaimed.

Heather laughed tauntingly, “You’re innocent? You lied to Eric for the past eight years. How are you innocent in all of this?”

Allison had no words for the woman who came into her home and accused her of all these devious things. How could Eric not see through all her layers that made her seem like such a nice person?

“What, nothing to say?”

“You know what? I don’t care what you think of me. I have a beautiful daughter, family, and friends. What do you have?”

She stuck out her chin defiantly, “I have Eric.”

Allison nodded in agreement, but then looked her levelly in the eyes, “Not for long, you won’t. One day he’s going to see right through your act and you and I both know he’ll choose Chloe over you.”

Allison glared at her for another moment and then pushed passed her, but Heather gripped her upper arm, holding her in place.

The look that she sent Allison was anything but friendly, quite frankly, it scared Allison.