Chapter 10 Something Worth Living for

Chapter 10

“So, everything went great then?” Jen asked Allison as they at the kitchen table, both sipping on a glass of red wine, while Paul enjoyed his beer.

“It went more than great, Jen.” Allison replied, her eyes wide with delight, “You should have seen Chloe. You know how shy she can be and it takes her a while to warm up to other people, but with Eric…” she shook her head in disbelief, “it’s like they’ve known each other forever.”

“Wow that is great.”

“Yeah, I mean she was shy and hesitant in the beginning, but once they started talking, I swear there was no stopping them. Even I felt like an outsider at times.”

Allison and Chloe had arrived half an hour ago and as soon as Allison had entered the house, Jen had bombarded her with questions about their first day out. Allison had wanted to call her yesterday, but had spent the entire day out with Chloe and by the time they got home, all she wanted was a hot bubble bath and her bed.

As soon as the twins, Jessica and James, and Chloe were outside playing in the yard, where both Allison and Jen could keep a close eye on them, both Jen and Paul had hurriedly asked their questions. Some were out of concern, wondering if things had gone good, while others were asked in pure joy once they heard that Chloe and Eric had had such a great response to each other.

Allison watched as Chloe chased the twins around the yard, all of them yelling out in joy and excitement. The pool, which could be clearly seen from where Allison stood, had a little fence built around it. Jen had made Paul put it up just after they’d moved in. Paul had grumbled about the extra work, but in the end she knew that even he was grateful for the extra safety measures taken, because the twins, and even Chloe, were a handful and accidents were known to happen.

“I tell you, guys. I’ve never seen anything like it.” Allison said a bit breathlessly.

“Like what?” Paul asked.

She turned to face her two friends, “I’ve never seen Eric so – so… emotional. I mean not that he was crying or anything like that,” she hurriedly explained, “but… I could really see how much that first hug Chloe give him meant to him.”

A hint of a smile played on Paul’s lips, spiking Allison’s curiosity, “What’s with the smile?”

Paul shook his head, “Nothing, it’s just…” he paused, “I went to see Eric that night, after you guys went out and I have to say, I he was completely cheerful. I think Chloe’s already gotten under his skin.”

Allison gave a slight smile, “I believe that she has.” She turned her attention back to the laughing children and her smile faded, “Do you think he’ll stick around, for Chloe’s sake? I don’t want her getting hurt if he decides one day he wants a change in life. Like he did with me.” the last part was only a whisper, but it rang out loud and clear for both Jen and Paul to hear.

“Oh honey,” Jen shook her head sadly, “Eric was an idiot back then to let you go and I know this must be hard for you, letting him back in, but you weren’t the change he needed-”

“I was,” she wanted to add that he had said so himself, but knew that it would only result in Paul most likely blooding Eric’s nose once he got here.

“No, you weren’t.”

Allison was about to protest when Paul spoke up, “I don’t know what happened between you two, and I won’t press for you to tell me, but what I can tell you is that I saw Eric on Friday night. He had stars in his eyes. Chloe has him hooked and I’m pegging that there’s nothing in the world he wants more than to be her father.”