Sammy

When Miss Peregrine called us down to breakfast that morning, I made sure to sit as far away from my brother as possible. Miss Peregrine had an announcement to make. A strange man I had never met was standing off to the side.

"Children, this is Sam Heyfeld. He is here for the sole purpose to protect us from wights. While he is here I expect you to be respectful, and address him as Mr. Heyfeld. Is that understood?" She asked. Mr. Heyfeld had a sharp face, with a really skinny body and graying black hair. He looked to be in his fifties.

"Yes, ma'am." We all chorused. Well, some did, while others mouthed the words and pretended to say it. She nodded with a smile before giving Sam the tour of the house, as well as the surrounding grounds.

About a week later Bronwyn gathered us together in the woods, something we never did. There was a stream there that did a good job of drowning out voices, so it was where we had meetings. In the course of a few years, they had actually managed to get a shack built. It was big enough for all of us to fit under.

"So, how's it been?" Bronwyn asked us after we all settled down. There came a few answers of fine, thank you's, that sort of thing. After some more polite small talk, Emma spoke up.

"Alright Wyn, can I take over? Whenever you lead these meetings you end up never getting to the point." Bronwyn rolled her eyes, but complied.

"Just trying to be friendly." She muttered.

"Anyway, the peculiar known as Sam Heyfeld has been in the loop for about a week. What do you think of him?" Emma asked.

"I for one find him quite rude. He pushed past me on the stairs and didn't even apologize." Millard said. It was kind of hard to miss him these days. Not quite all the paint had come off his head.

"He never plays with us." Said Marcy, speaking for all the girls.

"I dunno. The bloke's never really talked to me." Enoch said.

"Exactly. Why is this man so antisocial?" Emma said. "I pledge to find out why."

"Or I could just tell you." Came a voice from the shadows. We all screamed and turned around to find Sam looking back at us. He had some issues fitting through the doorway to the room, then he sat rather awkwardly, like a big kid almost. "Miss Peregrine and I met when she and my sister visited my loop while they were still training Ymbrynes. She was a nice young girl, the whole household liked her. But, unfortunately, the day came she had to leave, so, of course, she left. That was the last I had heard from her until very recently, when she asked me to come here to complete this task."

"But why didn't you tell us?" Millard asked.

"I saw no need to, my dear boy. And, like I'm sure you all have addressed, I don't talk much. I spent some time in the peculiar military, fighting hollows and such. The war truly took my voice away." This Sam said distantly, as if he were reliving some memories.

"How does one apply for that?" Asked Abe, suddenly interested.

Sam shook his head. "I'll tell you later. Now, your ymbryne is looking everywhere for you. Time to head back." He stood to crawl out. We could hear his knees pop as he stood.

I think we all appreciated the old man a little more than we used to. He had all these great ideas. He reminded me of a grandfatherly type.