Prophecies, And Meeting A Dead Boy

After dinner that night I found I had trouble drifting off to sleep. It was nearly four o'clock when I heard Horace screaming down the hall from me. I rushed into his bedroom. He was sitting on the floor shaking.

"You okay?" I asked him hesitantly. His eyes burst open.

"Netta! Death, blood, people were screaming. You were lying in a pool of blood!" He gasped. My breath caught in my throat. Death? Was I going to die? Horace's eyes were watery.

"I don't want that to happen to you." He whispered. Miss Peregrine walked through the doorway. Her eyes were wide, but sleep dazed.

"What on earth happened?" She glanced questioningly.

"I'm going to die." I said, voice wavering.

"There's more." Horace choked out. " There was a boy. Older than me, maybe 17? He looked like Abe. Someone called him Jacob, I think. He was wearing the strangest clothes I've ever seen."

Miss Peregrine went from room to room, banging on the doors, waking the whole household, who sleepily assembled in Horace's room, standing around the doorway, taking in the scene.

"Mr. Somnusson has had a vision." Miss Peregrine stated after everyone had come. "A boy named Jacob, who looked like Mr. Portman, had been seen. I assume you are his ancestor, Abraham." She continued, conveniently leaving out the fact I had died. I tried to forget that fact as I went about my day, but found I could not. Instead I consoled myself, playing dolls, (which had not yet ran out of energy,) with Marcy, Claire, Charlotte, and Olive.

"Are you okay?" Olive asked me, noticing my discomfort.

"Fine." I replied. I suppose it was my burden, and no one else's to share.
~*~

Three days had passed since Horace had prophecized my death, and although I still felt afflicted, everything else had mainly been normal. Bronwyn and I had been in the drawing room, talking, well, gossiping, when Emma burst through the room.

"That's what he can do!" She exclaimed wildly. Bronwyn and I immediately straitened, as we had just been talking about her.

"What?" I asked, thinking she had found information about Abe, who had been learning more English, and adjusting to life in a loop.

"Enoch! He can bring things to life." She said excitedly. I remembered that neither she nor Bronwyn had known before now. Bronwyn had a strange glint in her eye. Longing?

"Could he do it?" She said in disbelief. I looked between the two of them, not understanding.

"Who?"

Bronwyn spoke a name. "Victor." She said. I understood all at once and gave her a nod, knowing what this means.

~*~
The whole household, aside from Miss Peregrine, who had gone to the village, assembled in the upstairs room where Victor's body was kept. Enoch pulled out his sheep hearts that he claimed were 'fresh.' Holding the heart, he raised it above his head, and placed the other hand on Victors chest. His face took on a look of concentration as the heart began to beat. It slowly started to turn grey. Enoch looked at it.

"Need another one." He muttered. Bronwyn handed him another. This time, it worked, and Victor Bruntley's eyes fluttered open, looking around the room.

"Dear God, how am I still alive?" He asked, looking at us. "And who the heck are you?" He said, pointing at me and Enoch, who was still clutching the beating heart in his hand.

Bronwyn's eyes brimmed with tears. "You died, Victor, and he brought you back to life." She gestured towards Enoch.

"Dead!" Victor exclaimed. "That's not fair!"

"You'd better get used to it, mate." Hugh said on the other side of the bed. "And she's my sister." He added, trying to clear up who I was.

"Yes! I remember hearing about you." He said, shaking my hand as if he hadn't just come from the dead a minute before.

"Let's get down to business." Enoch said. "You can't stay alive forever, and my supplies aren't unlimited. Therefore, time to catch up on everything you missed." They filled him in on life since he had left, and before we knew it, Enoch stated he had about a minute left. He cleared his throat uncomfortably, trying not to disturb the two siblings with their catching up.

"I mean, you'll see each other soon, it's not forever you know."

"Alright," Victor said, "I'll see you later." And with that, Victor's head returned to the pillow, and for the second time in his life, he died.

"That was really kind of you." I said to Enoch when we left the room. He smiled at me fleetingly.

"I wish I had one."

"What?"

"A brother, or sister here.

"You've got all of us." I said. And me, especially me.

"Yeah, I suppose I do." He went downstairs and didn't come out for the rest of the day.

Don't worry about Nettalyn dying yet. I've always got a plan. Until next time!