Born Of Fire Chapter 35

Hey everyone! I held true to my word, and here is the new chapter! Same challenge for this chapter, 45 votes or one week whichever happens first!

All of the elders except Kontrala looked down to Phoenix, perplexed. Kelissa stepped forward, and touched the middle and pointer finger of her right hand to her forehead, while the same fingers on the left touched her navel. Every elder reacted by touching their own fingers to their foreheads, but their left hands stayed curiously still, never traveling to their bellies. Kelissa dropped to one knee, glancing pointedly at Phoenix, who followed suit quickly.

Never moving her fingers from her forehead, Kelissa spoke. “All of the invaders have either been killed or routed, Masters. Not a single one remains to threaten us.”

The man in the center of the platform shifted forward, gazing at Phoenix intently. Not menacingly, but as though he were inspecting him, trying to peer into his soul.

A smile found its way onto his face and he sat back with a small chuckle. “You must be Doritan’s son,” he said, smiling widely.

Phoenix raised an eyebrow in surprise, then rose to his feet and stood tall. Kelissa gasped, as it was not customary to rise before the elders unless instructed to do so.

“I am,” said Phoenix.

The elder raised a hand to console Kelissa. “He is not from Boxor Kelissa, you cannot expect him to know our customs.”

To Phoenix, he continued. “I knew your father many years ago when his father, the Gazda of Yaag, and my father, the Gazda of Boxor, met to discuss an alliance. We were children then, and became fast friends. We remained close until…” The old man faltered a moment, then in a voice much lower than before, almost whispered, “Your mother.”

Phoenix gritted his teeth, and felt a quick flash of anger rise in his belly. “It drove you apart?”

The elder sighed. “Not so much drove us apart as drove him mad. He stopped all communication with Boxor and all the other fire wielding villages immediately after.”

Phoenix only nodded. “I am called Phoenix. And you?”

Kelissa gasped again, but quickly covered her mouth. The elder chuckled, and rose from his chair, then stepped down to stand in front of Phoenix. With the man standing closer, Phoenix could see he was easily as old as Doritan, maybe a few years older.

The man reached forward and placed the index and middle finger of his right hand on Phoenix’s forehead, and slowly traced them down to his eyebrows. “Well met, Phoenix of Yaag. I am Makot of Boxor.”

Phoenix raised an eyebrow at Makot, and suddenly felt Kelissa by his side. “This is where you say, well met, Makot of Boxor. May the fire of the Gods keep and protect you.”

Makot chuckled again, and Phoenix repeated the greeting.