Born of Fire Chapter 52

Phoenix backpedaled quickly, putting some space between him and the eerily calm man before him. Secrat raised a hand, and flames sprang forth, coating his fingers with the red hot instrument of death. Gazing at his flaming hand as though it were the most interesting object in the world, Secrat spoke. “As of yet, I can‘t set my whole body ablaze as you can, nor can I turn my flame blue. But once you are dead, and I leave this place, I am sure I will figure it out. It may take a few years, but I will surpass your skills, and will not need the powers Demetrius has bestowed upon me.”

Phoenix kept walking backward, looking over Secrat, checking for a weakness. None presented itself, and Secrat kept stalking forward, the flames trailing behind his hands. Phoenix kept it out of his body language, but he was slowly building his power, aiming for one last single strike that he hoped would kill the man.

Without warning, Secrat jumped forward, slapping Phoenix across the face with his hand ablaze. The force of the blow was astounding, and Phoenix’s face slewed to the side, a black mark having spread across his cheek. Spots danced before his eyes, and he shook his head in an effort to clear them. They reduced in number, only partially blocking his vision. Secrat’s body danced before his eyes, though Phoenix knew Secrat was standing still. A perverse, tooth showing smile had spread across his features, and he raised his hand again.

The flaming appendage streaked toward his face once more, and Phoenix barely had time to duck below it. He scrambled away, almost running, almost crawling, in a mad rush to escape the blow. Finally, his equilibrium returned to normal and his vision corrected itself, so Phoenix stopped and stood, then turned to his opponent, malice coating his appearance. Igniting his body, Phoenix raised his arms away from himself, and let loose a long roar, turning the flame blue. Secrat hesitated for a split second, but Phoenix saw it. His confidence was beginning to waver, and Phoenix knew he could take advantage of that. 

Secrat started sprinting, and Phoenix stood his ground, awaiting his enemy. Phoenix raised his arms, causing a wave of flame to erupt from the ground, directly beneath Secrat. Not even slowed down, Secrat burst through the wall, still running full kilt toward Phoenix. Pulling back his ignited hand, Secrat punched for Phoenix’s face. Leaning backward at the waist, Phoenix watched the fist pass over his face, then tried to suck in breath when another fist slammed into his ribs, searing his clothes and singing his skin. The breath burst from his lungs, and he fell onto his back on the soft grass. Secrat raised a foot, and Phoenix rolled, hearing Secrat’s foot slam into the ground. Springing back onto his feet, his eyes shot to where Secrat’s foot was still embedded in the ground, up the calf. For someone who was not a Bachtalo, that should not have been possible. Even if he possessed the strength to push through the earth, his bones should not have been able to withstand the force.

Secrat still wore the same smile, and pulled his foot from the earth. Flashing to place himself in front of Phoenix, he kicked out, catching Phoenix in the stomach. Phoenix’s body was lifted from the ground, and he was catapulted many feet from where he had been. He slammed into the floor, rolling once he hit, then his body came to a stop. Placing his palms on the ground, Phoenix tried to raise himself from the ground, but he could not muster the strength. He dropped back to the ground, and lay facedown, trying to steady his breathing. Secrat’s feet padded toward him, then stopped in front of his face, and all Phoenix’s muddled mind could register was that Secrat’s boots were highly polished, and he could see the black streak on his cheek, and the single tear streaking down his face,

Secrat reached down, and grasped Phoenix by the collar, raising him from the ground effortlessly. Lindani screamed, Ember clasped her hands on front of her mouth, and Spedro started forward, Lindani at his heels. Secrat turned, and pointed a hand at them, and caused a ring of fire to ignite all around Phoenix and himself, secluding them from the others.