Chapter Twenty-seven.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

     DARKESS CONSUMED ME, leaving no place to move. My surroundings were wary and fuzzy around the edges, making me narrow my eyes so that I could make out the figures that were standing before me; leaning in as if studying me like a hawk.

     I could barely make out what they were saying, but whatever it was, they both seemed angst and on edge. “You shouldn’t have done that.” The female stated, looking at the male figure accusingly.

     The man raised both of his hands up in surrender, though regret was evident on his face. At least he was remorseful for whatever it was that he had done. “Yeah, I know. It was a bit too much.”

     “You think?” The female snapped before crouching down on the ground next to me, placing her hand against my neck; presumably checking for a pulse. After a minute or so, the female stood up from her position on the ground and declared, “You’re lucky she’s still breathing otherwise you would have started a war.” She snarled though you could tell that she was relieved that I was at least alive. That was a good thing, right?

     The man nodded shakily and slid down to the floor and sat down. He propped his knees up so he could place his head on them as he took multiple ragged breaths. It was as if Lawson wasn’t used to doing all of these things, as if they unnerved him. But then that made Ruby the mastermind behind this whole scheme.

     I would have loved to have carried on pretending that I was still unconscious, but sadly, it seemed that I had been spotted out. “Nice sleep, sweetheart?” Lawson asked from his seat on the floor, which wasn’t very far away from me.

     Rubbing my throat, I changed positions so that I was no longer lying on the ground but sitting up against the wall now. Avoiding his question, I turned my eyes to Ruby who was sat on the bed examining her nails as if nothing had just happened. When she bothered to tear her attentions away from her nails and to me, she smiled softly. One that warmed my heart.

     I smiled back at her, though mine was false. There was something going wrong that had Ruby hating me one moment to acting all loving and caring around me the next moment. And it seemed that the best way to get some answers was to probably suck it up and play nice, seeing as it got me some answers last time. Though I did end up being strangled and thrown across the room, but I was hoping that that wouldn’t happen again a second time. Especially since Lawson looked really guilty.

     Lawson stood up and made his way over to me, sitting next to me. He looked at me apologetically and said, “I’m sorry, sweetheart. That was bang out of order. Do you forgive me?”

     Nodding, I gritted my teeth to stop me from biting his head off. But if that happened then I was sure that I was going to get some trouble from Ruby, so I sustained myself from doing so. “It’s okay. You didn’t mean it.” With a false smile on my face, I peered over at Ruby, watching her every movement as everything about her screamed ‘danger’.

     There was silence. Lawson and Ruby were looking at each other, as if conversing silently. My gaze took turns to wander from Ruby, and then to Lawson. It would be an understatement to say that I was on guard. The first chance I got, I would be out of here and running for my life, away from these two sadists.

     Lawson’s voice brought me out of my daze and back to reality. “It was me who was giving you bad dreams. Ruby, and me.” He confessed, but carried on when he saw the confused look on my face. “Ruby’s an angel and I’m a fallen angel, remember?”

     I hesitated before nodding. “Well, we have some powers which gave us the ability to control what you saw when you were dreaming.”

     Things were still fuzzy around the edges but seemed to be heading in the right direction for the full picture. “So you’re the Assassins in my dream?” I questioned, watching his features for any sort of emotions that may pass.

     Ruby nodded. “That was us. We had to scare you.”

     “But, why?”

     She gave me a small smile. “We got to learn some things about you.” She shrugged casually, though I could tell that she was lying. But I didn’t say anything in fear that one of them would attack me again. “We learned something important about you. That you know nothing of your past; nothing about your parents. Is that true?” She asked, watching me for my every movement, as if she was going to get her answers in that way.

     There was nothing for me to do other than to shrug. “They died so I went into care.” My answer was very vague as I didn’t enjoy talking about my biological parents too much. “So you haunted my dreams? Not Hunter?” I asked curiously.

     Lawson nodded; bring my attention back to him. “We just wanted you to stay away from him so we thought the best thing would be if we scared you.”

     Everything contemplated in my head, silently. It was only then did I realise that Lawson’s eyes were burning red and that his hands were fisted tightly, anger radiating off him like a smell. “We need to find out the secret.” He growled before grabbing me by the elbow and yanking me closer to him. I trembled in his grasp as an angry Lawson was a scary Lawson. “Tell me!” He demanded; bring fresh tears to my eyes.

     I shook my head vigorously, indicating that I didn’t know what it was that he was after. Grunting, his grip on my arm tightened and I was sure that it would leave a bruise.

     But bruises were the last things on my mind. I could feel my body stiffen, as if the very soul was being sucked out of me. My breathing hitched as it came out in short, ragged breaths. It was getting harder and harder for me to come back to reality, as if I was being sucked into a big black hole somewhere.

     Lawson was violating me, or more specifically, he was violating my heart. And that was why I was getting sucked into a big black hole where happiness will cease to exist. And that was why I did what I did. Bringing my knee up, I plunged it between his legs where it would hurt the most. And boy was I right.

     Lawson went into shock as to what happened and clutched his man jewels, breaking the connection as he did. Dodging past Ruby, I used the last of my energy to sprint out of the room and back into the party, but I wasn’t there to stay.

     Pushing past the herds of people, I escaped into the sweet, cold night air. My legs ached and my head pounded against my skull, but I still carried on running because I knew that Ruby and Lawson would be coming straight after me once they realised what had just happened.

     I didn’t make it two minutes before I felt someone grasp my hair from behind and drag me behind them. As much as I tried to scream and thrash around, I couldn’t. I had used up all of my energy and now body had gone numb.

     Once they were sure that it was a safe enough place, Lawson dumped me at his feet, looking down at me with anger blazing behind his dilated pupils. Ruby stood smirking behind him, enjoying this more than she probably should.

     They had dragged me to the woods. A great place if they wanted to kill me and dispose of my body in a hurry.

     Fate has other things in mind, I thought as I watched Lawson fall to the ground on his knees.

     “Everything’s going to be alright, Princess.” Hunter promised, kissing me swiftly on the forehead. I smiled with my eyes closed just enjoying the moment because I wasn’t sure if there would ever be another one like this for me.

    Hunter was looking down at me with something in his eyes that I couldn’t distinguish when Lawson charged at him from behind.

A/N: The last chapter should be on soon. Hopefully.

Read, Vote, Comment and Follow!

Monty_x