#38, A cheap shot

They didn't take the photo

Mainly because that would have been for naught without Tamira – who had stormed out of the house before it could have happened. She'd taken the car, leaving Emma and Emilia stranded and dumbfounded at casa Neymar, wondering what the hell was going on with the young athlete. Emma, naturally, knew why her best friend had fled the scene so abruptly, and so did Gil and Neymar.

But the parents didn't.

Emilia sighed heavily as she sat down on the bench in the garden where Pai had already gotten down. She frowned, still working to figure out her daughter. "I had no idea she would react like this. Maybe her and Neymar don't get along as well as they made us believe?"

Pai shrugged. He was perplexed as well, but also wary. His son's reaction had been so different from Tamira's, which made him wonder if they were the one's that had missed something. Was the dislike only on Tamira's side? Did she dislike his son so much that the thought of them becoming a family freaked her out so much?

"I honestly don't know," he finally said. "I guess we will have to wait and see if they can manage to work things out."

Whatever things they apparently need to work out, he added in his mind.

Emilia eyed him worriedly, biting her lip before asking, "And what if they don't?"

Pai could only shrug again, feeling helpless for the first time in a long while. Usually, he was the one with the answer. But right now, with this particular problem, he just didn't have it.

—-

Retrospectively, Neymar couldn't have been happier with Tamira's Houdini act, because it meant that the world would be clueless about their situation for a little while longer. Plus, they could use the time saved to come up with a plan. Or solution. Or anything, actually.

He just couldn't let his father ruin everything he'd wanted to have with the girl he liked – even if he didn't have a frikking clue about their "secret" relationship. Guess that's what you get when you keep secrets – they'll come around and bite you in the ass, in the most unpleasant kind of way.

Neymar frowned at the traffic light, his fingers drumming against the steering wheel of his car as he impatiently waited for it to turn green. When it finally did he let out a sigh of relief and revved up the motor as he accelerated away. He couldn't drive fast enough – even though he already knew where he would be able to find her.

As soon as they'd heard the motor of Tamira's Audi roar as she sped away, Emma had offered to go and talk to her together with Neymar; which gave him the perfect opportunity to go after Tamira without Neymar Pai or Emilia thinking twice about it. The best friend and the other person who was immediately affected by the situation going after her? It just made sense.

Emma held on for dear life as Neymar drove like a crazy person through the streets of Barcelona, her eyes fixated on the road ahead and her mind occupied with sending prayers up to God to please spare their lives – because the man sitting next to her clearly was dangerous when on a mission. Especially when the heart was involved, it would seem.