#24, Don't let me stop you

They were back to the tension

How great was that?

End sarcasm here.

New Years came and went, and thankfully, Neymar's dad and Tamira's mum came back from their trip, happy as ever, but concerned about their kids nevertheless, once they realized the two had returned back to mean looks and nasty comments.

So the last few days of the Australian family residing with the Neymars was spent trying to avoid the elephant in the room. Of course, neither of the two had lost a word about what had really happened between them, leaving the rest of them guessing. Hell would need to freeze over before anybody found out about their... thing.

Blissfully, after only three (seemingly endless) days into the new year, the repair guys told Emilia that the house was inhabitable again. The heating worked again, the glass door and walls of Tamira's bedroom had been repaired. They could move back.

Tamira had never packed faster in her entire life.

Her mother, of course, had cornered her the minute they'd gotten back to their own home. Too bad that she was exasperated and fed up with the issue by now, no thanks to Emma having asked these sort of questions on a regular basis these past few days, bugging Tamira endlessly with her curiosity. Who was in dire need of a massage; the tension was starting to settle in her shoulders.

"Look, mum," Tamira had tried to explain. "We tried the whole civil thing. It didn't work out as soon as we were alone. But you can rest assured, we're gonna keep acting civil on the field, during training, during matches and press conferences and everything else professional related. But for the love of God, please finally get it out of your head that we will ever, ever get along just fine! That's not how we're are, as you can see! So just please let me ignore him and he ignores me and everything is great, alright?"

It wasn't alright. Far from it. But neither had confided in their best friends, which meant that neither Gil nor Emma had a clue as to what had really transpired that night Emma had slept over at Rafa's, so there was no comforting conversation or shoulder to cry on or ear to talk off either.

To make matters even worse for Tamira, her mother apparently had decided that she wanted to talk about the gala – months later. To be more precise, about that handsome young man from Qatar, of all people. Didn't Tamira have fun dancing with him? He seemed to be nice, Neymar Pai had informed her, since he'd talked to the man back then. Wasn't he nice to her at the gala?

Thankfully, the football season continued with several matches in their respective leagues, which distracted both of them from each other. Even better, thanks to their busy schedules, they once again had the best excuses to go out of each other's way, no matter how strongly their parents wanted them to meet up on family dinners and whatever else they could come up with. But their utter refusal to do anything together that wasn't football related eventually got through to the parental front, and after a long while they stopped bothering the football players with it.