Chapter 15: Unexpected Betrayal

Flung across the floor, the duo both yelped and groaned in pain. Both their arms were tied behind their backs, and their hearts pounded wildly with fright as they awaited what will become of them. They both struggled to loosen the ropes but to no avail. Their mouths were muffled with cloth that were bound around their heads and mouths like horses. Their eyes were also blindfolded, leaving them in darkness. And through the darkness, both young people could hear the voices of their captors.

Nova cursed under his breath. He couldn't believe that they were in that situation despite having Arcana cards. But who knew a man would be able to take them on with ease? He certainly didn't. He knew he was careless to have thought that they were out of danger the moment he knocked out the circus members. The boy had panicked at that time as well—he lost his cool under a stoic face. Nova felt more than ashamed.

He could feel Felicita's legs entangles with his, but they were still. It seemed to him that she got tired from their earlier squabble with the big man. Gently he slowly untangled himself and quickly sat up with a single swift movement.

"Nova, where are we?" the girl whispered.

"I dunno," Nova replied. "But I'm suspecting maybe their storehouse or something. I can't hear anything."

His companion did not reply to his answer, and Nova didn't add anything further. He was frustrated enough.

"I'm sorry." Her voice broke the silence. "You were so worried about my wellbeing that we got caught because of it. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault, Fel," Nova told her calmly. "It's mine. I didn't sense or hear that man coming. I should've been more alert."

"That goes the same for me for being the head of Swords," Felicita replied reluctantly. But in a moment she became serious, stiffening at the thought that flashed through her head. "Nova, what if this circus is actually the 'fake' Arcana users Angelica mentioned before?!"

Her cousin sighs incredulously. "I suspected that a long time ago."

"Eh?"

Before he answered, he tries to break free again, hoping to loosen the rope around him. But the texture only scraped his pale skin, soon making his skin bleed. The ropes began soaking up the source of his life, and it brought stinging pain that made him seethe through his teeth. Even Felicita could detect the pain he was going through.

"Nova, you're—"

"It's fine," he snaps. "I suspected that they were Arcana users because of their name."

"Tarocchini?"

Nova nods through the darkness. "From that word, 'tarots' were created. The Arcana goes by some aliases, but tarot should be a clear sign that they are also Arcana."

"Then we'll have to warn the others," said Felicita, getting up.

The boy nods at this. "But they took our weapons, there's no way we could cut these ropes!"

"Nova," Felicita's voice suddenly told him calmly. "I need you to put down the blindfolds."

Her cousin shook his head. "I have no means to do so."

"Use your mouth, Nova." Her voice so firm.

Hearing that, his cheeks immediately heated up in embarrassment. He couldn't believe his ears, and he never thought that the girl could be so dense about modesty. "I can't do that!"

"You have to!" she insisted.

"No! I can't!"

"Please, Nova! We have to warn the others!"