Chapter 30

.30
TESSA: STARK TOWER
PRESENT DAY

~{}~

After a major clean up session at the tower, Dad sent me to bed. To bed. Like a little kid.

"Really Dad?" I complained.

He groaned. "You just died. You need to rest." I tried to argue, but he cut me off. "Go." I trudged to my room. I changed into sweat pants and a tee shirt and slid into bed. I let out a cry of pain when I laid down. Dad came rushing in. "What?"

"God, it hurts," I whimpered. "My stomach. There's just a scar on the outside. I don't know if it healed on the inside or not."

"JARVIS, scan her," Dad ordered.

"On it, sir." Dad grasped my hand. "It seems as if her internal organs are damaged severely."

"God, it's worse than I thought. Is Bruce still around, JARVIS?" I asked. The pain was coming back worse as I thought about it.

"I shall tell him to set up in the lab."

"Thanks, J," I groaned. "Dad, can you help me?"

"Say no more." He scooped me up in his arms and carried me to the elevator, where we went to the lab. The way Dad carried me really hurt, but I didn't say anything because it would cause more worrying issues for him. No wonder he has anxiety, I thought. We arrived at the lab where Bruce was already setting up. Dad laid me down on the table in front of him.

"Why didn't it heal completely?" Bruce thought aloud. I shook my head as they lifted up my shirt to see what happened.

"I don't know, I just want you to fix it," I said.

Bruce hooked me up to a machine while Dad held my hand. "We're going to have to put you under." He said. I nodded. He injected me with a sedation, and I went under.

~{}~

TESSA: STARK TOWER
HOURS LATER

~{}~

When I came to, I was in my bed. My stomach was wrapped up in a stiff bandage and I was hooked up to the same machine I was in the lab. My other bruises and cuts were tended to, so there were little bandages covering my arms. "JARVIS?" I called.

"Yes, Miss Tessa?"

"Can you tell everyone I'm up? And tell Natasha I need her."

"On it," the AI responded. I sighed.

"Thanks, JARVIS. What would I do without you?"

"Nothing, miss." I laughed at his sense of humor. I then heard a knock on my door.

"Come in," I said. The door was so far away from my bed. Natasha walked in and sat on the edge of my bed with a smile. "Hey, Nat."

"Hey, Tess. How're you doing?" She looked concerned.

"Just a little sore." I patted my stomach, but immediately regretted it when it stung. "Can I ask you a favor?"

"Anything."

"Okay. So there was this guy. I saved his life," I started.

"What's his name? I'll track him." She sighed deeply.

"Caleb All-"

"My apologies for interrupting, but there is a boy outside requesting to see you." Thor barged in.

"Do you know his name?" I asked, hopeful.

"He said it was Caleb Allen. He also said that you know of him." My heart skipped.

"Send him up," I requested. Thor raised his eyebrows. "No questions. Go." He walked out of the room with a smile on his face. "Nat, do I look decent?" I asked suddenly.

"For a girl that died, yes. Don't worry, if this one's a keeper, he won't care." She walked out of my room with a smirk plastered on her face. Moments later, Caleb walked in with flowers.

"Hey," I said as strongly as I could.

"Are you alright?" Caleb set the flowers down and sat next to me.

"Not really, just got stabbed in the stomach, gave up my powers, and died and came back. Not doing so hot for an Avenger." He laughed.

"But seriously, you're going to live, right?" He was serious. Dead serious.

"Of course I will. Why do you ask?" I questioned.

"Because if not, I wouldn't be able to ask you out in a date." My heart flipped.

"Really?" I asked.

"Well, you kind of saved my life, and you're kind of cute, so why not?" I felt a blush creep up my neck.

"I'd love to. When I'm able to walk, though." I sighed. "Of course, I'm the one who gets killed."

"If you don't mind me asking, how'd you come back?" Caleb asked.

"Well, if I didn't come back, I wouldn't be able to accompany you on your date," I retorted playfully. "My dad said it would take two and a half months for me to fully recover. Maybe if I get my powers back, two at the most."

"I'll pick you up in two months, then, Miss Stark?" He bowed.

"You know, the name is Tessa," I told him.

"Tessa. Beautiful as you are." My face probably turned a darker shade of red.

"My birthday's in two months. Can we set some sort of thing up then?"

"When?"

"May 11th."

"I'll count on that." He smiled and looked at his watch. "I have to go, Tessa. So it's settled. May 11th at 6:00."

"Of course." I smiled. He set the flowers in my hands.

"Bye, Tessa."

"Bye, Caleb," I called after him. I sighed and laid my head back on my pillow, knowing what was coming next. "JARVIS, was everyone watching?"

"Indeed," he responded. Bucky and Clint walked in with smirks on their faces.

"So, Caleb, huh?" Bucky let out a slow whistle.

"Yeah, wow." Clint sighed. "You just save guys like crazy, don't you?"

"Shut up," I groaned. "Guys try stupid things the most."

"You made a deal with a queen, got stabbed, gave up your powers, and look where that got you," Bucky pointed out.

"I thought I did fine," I defended myself.

"You did," reassured Clint. He paused before continuing. "Tony's out there lecturing the poor kid."

"Oh my gosh." I face-palmed.

"Yeah, something about if he breaks your heart, that Iron Man will track him down and break him." Bucky waved his hand, gesturing that it was no big deal.

"DAD!"