Chapter 7

.07
BUCKY: STARK TOWER
PRESENT DAY

~{}~

"We need to talk," I said to Tessa.

"What?" She said. I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh.

"We need to talk somewhere that's not here. Come on down to my floor," I said, standing up. Tessa's eyebrows furrowed.

"Why?" She asked as we went into the elevator.

"I need to clarify things," I said as the elevator doors closed. "JARVIS, take us to my floor."

"Right away, Sergeant Barnes." Tessa looked startled.

"Who is that?" She asked, looking scared. But there was something about her look that was weird. Like she was faking it.

"A computer system that you don't have to be afraid of. JARVIS, scan her. Tell me who she really is."

"What?! Is this why you don't like me?" She said, trying to step back from the scan.

"Uh, Sergeant Barnes, I think that, uh, what I mean to say is, uh, Miss Tessa?" The AI said, stumbling over ever word. Tessa let out a sigh.

"Okay, JARVIS, I know that you think that this is weird, but -"

"I have to tell Mr. Stark, right away," JARVIS said.

"No, no no no no!" Tessa screamed, waving her hands. "No, no, no, no, you can't tell him, JARVIS, please? I couldn't do this right when I got here, okay? Let him grow to like me first - "

"What the heck is going on!" I yelled, stopping the argument. Tessa shook her head. "Okay, JARVIS, who is she?"

"She is Tessa Stark, daughter of Mr. Stark, who was kidnapped 8 years ago," JARVIS said. I gave Tessa a look. She wouldn't look up. "We are at your floor, Sergeant Barnes." We stepped out of the elevator. Tessa started to say something, but I stopped her.

"You are Stark's daughter?" I asked. Tessa nodded, not looking up. I stepped closer to her and grabbed her shoulders. I shook her and she looked up. "Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"First, I-I d-didn't think th-that h-he would l-like m-me," she stuttered. I could tell she was frightened by my outburst, so I loosened my grip on her.

"Are you serious?" I laughed. "If you are his daughter, then he should love you!" She smiled.

"Second, he didn't try to come after me when I got kidnapped." Her face fell. She looked at her hands. "He never searched, he never tried, and I gave up on my father. Clint was the only person I had trusted to come after me in 8 years. So that's why I don't want to tell him, okay? I am disappointed and mad." She looked up at me with tears in her eyes. I wrapped her in a hug. We stayed like that for a while. She finally let go and looked at me.

"Can I trust you not to tell anyone? The only person I told was Clint." I nodded.

"Do you want to go down to the training room?" I asked. She could take out her anger there.

"The what?"

"It's where we practice," I explained. We went into the elevator and headed down to the training room. There were punching bags, a boxing ring, target practice with knives and a bow, and a bunch of other stuff. Tessa gasped.

"There is a lot of stuff down here!" She said, grinning. She ran over to the table of weapons. She picked up at least 5 different knives. Tessa looked at the targets. "May I?"

"For a Stark, you have manners." I chuckled. "Go ahead." The next thing I saw was incredible. She threw each one on the bulls eye. She then picked up a pistol and moved to the next target. All 20 bullets landed on the bulls eye. Tessa lastly picked up the bow and arrows. She put every arrow in the case on the bulls eye. After 5 minutes, she looked at me. "How in the world did you do that?" I asked her.

"I've been doing it since I was 4, so I've had a lot of practice." She laughed. "HYDRA didn't let me fail."

"I was kidnapped by HYDRA, too, but they didn't teach me how to do that!" I said, shocked.

"You were kidnapped by HYDRA? Did they brainwash you? Torture you? Starve you?"

"All of the above. I forgot Steve," I said. "I killed many people. I didn't realize any of it until he found me."

"Hey, now you have a HYDRA buddy." She said, chuckling. We laughed for a while. "You know, they tried to brainwash me."

"Tried?" I asked.

"It didn't work on me. I couldn't forget what Da - Stark had done and I didn't forget Clint. Any idea why?" She questioned me.

"We'll find out sooner or later," I reassured her. "Now, do you want to show me how to do that?" I pointed at the targets.

"I still can't believe that they didn't teach you this," she said, standing up. She walked over to the table and picked up two knives. We walked over to a new target. "They didn't teach you how to use a knife?"

"I already knew how to fight with one, I just don't know how to throw it and hit my target," I said. For the next hour, she taught me how to throw the knife. Tessa gave me tips and hints on how to make sure the knife part hit the target. By the end of the hour, I could actually hit the target, pretty near the center, too. "Thanks for teaching me," I said as we were walking out.

"Anytime," she said. "Just one thing in exchange for the lesson."

"What? Anything," I stated as we were in the elevator.

"Promise not to tell anyone about it, okay?" I nodded.

"That's a promise I can keep,"!I said as the elevator stopped back in the living room. We didn't know that there was a surprise waiting for us when we got there, though.