Chapter 25

.25
TESSA: CENTER OF NYC
PRESENT DAY

~{}~

I started with the ones that were right in front of me. I blasted them away with ease. They thankfully died. The rest of the Avengers stepped out of the plane and went straight into battle. I heard the same noises as when I was in my cell long ago.

Metal clanging from a certain shield.

Bullets and arrows whizzing past from the trio.

Lightning striking from a particular hammer.

The sound of roars from a gigantic beast.

Blasts of repulsor beams from a specific suit.

Plus some new noises.

Like air whooshing as the speedster flew by.

Like red and yellow magic aimed at the enemy.

Like blue beams of energy being shot out of a spear.

Like flames spewing and catching fire.

A lot of noises that made me feel good.

Soon, there were blinding lights and many elf bodies surrounding us. But more were coming out of the portal in the sky. I turned to Thor, Vision, and Dad. I flicked my wrist and sent the elves that they were fighting flying. They turned to me. "We need to slow them down. Take Clint, Natasha, and Bucky up to the rooftops. Have them stop the elves before they get to the ground." They nodded and flew off. I ran to Wanda and Pietro. "Can you guys get civilians to safety?" Pietro picked up Wanda and sped off. I saw Loki being surrounded. I teleported near to them to only find that Loki wasn't Loki.

A hologram. Of course.

I made another one of me and sent them running to distract the newly-landed elves. When the group ran past after the hologram, I set them on fire and cut off their heads with my sword. It made killing easy for me for a minute or so. I stopped. One of the elves were playing with my hologram. I teleported behind them for the element of surprise, but they caught me. He used his dagger and cut my arm. I let out a cry of pain before killing him. Steve must have noticed my yelling.

"Tessa, you alright?" He asked through the com. I tried wiping off the blood, but it just smeared. I let out a sigh of agitation.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I mumbled. "Just a little scratch. I'll live." I noticed all of the damage around us. We had been fighting for only 15 minutes and there was debris all over the place. Glass was shattered. Cement was cracked and popping up in places. Dust and dirt were flying everywhere. I let out a whistle. "Do you guys pay for the damage? 'Cause there's sure a lot of it." I heard metal clanking behind me.

"Maybe for some of it, but no. Not all of it," a robotic voice answered. Dad's mask retracted and a look of worry spread across his face. "Hey, you alright?"

"Yes, yes. I'm fine. A little scratch, people." I threw up my hands. I let out a gasp. "Guys, where are all of the elves? There were, like, thousands flying out of the portal a second ago." The lack of elves was worrying me.

"Maybe they're done?" Steve exclaimed through the com. I heard Loki and Thor's laughter.

"They are never done," Thor said. "There must be a problem."

"Widow, Hawkeye, Winter, what's happening up there? You got a better view than we do," I questioned.

"There's nothing," Nat claimed. "Gods, what's happening?"

"I have no clue," admitted Loki.

"I know nothing as well," Thor answered.

"Everyone except the roof snipers, meet at the intersection." Steve's voice rang through the coms. In seconds, everyone that was supposed to be there was there. We stood together, waiting for the worst. There was a deafening boom. We gave our attention to the portal. Hundreds more started to come out after a floating chariot with the queen on it. For the third time, I felt like there were tons of pressure on my head. I gritted my teeth, not wanting to give into the pain this time.

You have started this war. And I'm going to finish it.

The queen raised her spear and the army of elves came raining down on us. I groaned in agitation. "She just had to give us a moment of rest. So much for having my hopes up." I got in my fighting stance. The others did the same. When the party came, we were ready for them. It seemed to go in slow motion. Everyone working together to fight. Some of the elves dropping at random, curtsey of Clint, Nat, and Bucky. I ducked a sword swipe and kicked the elf off of their feet. I did a back handspring into the one behind me, crossed my legs around their neck, and flipped them over. One that got a hold of me got burnt badly.

"Tessa, duck!" I heard Steve say through the coms. I obeyed as Mjolnir flew over my head and came back, killing half a dozen elves. I heaved myself up, not bothering to brush the dirt off, and followed the path of the hammer. I grinned as it landed in Steve's hands. "Uh, Thor?" He glanced at Thor, who had caught the shield and shrugged with a grin. Steve swung the hammer to get rid of the elves in front of him.

"My guess is that you're worthy," I called. "Enjoy it!" I shoved my hot hand through an elf's stomach. I looked up at Clint, who was having trouble, as the elves had landed on the roof. "Clint, you need help?" I asked through the coms.

No answer.

"Clint!" I demanded. "Nat! Buck! Anyone?"

Still no answer. "Guys, what's going on? Are the coms working? Hello?" Steve heard my calls from where he was fighting. He had his shield back, to my disappointment.  He finished off the creature in front of him before giving me an explanation.

"The coms are down. She must've blown 'em out on purpose. The cause of the big boom." I glanced back at Clint, who seemed to be getting tired.

I started to scream at the top of my lungs. "If anyone can hear me, Clint needs backup. Now!" No one answered my cries. Suddenly, a big group of elves surrounded us.

I fought my heart out. I didn't let one elf escape my grasp. The one moment I let my guard down, I saw the last possible thing that I wanted to see.

Clint.

Falling off the roof.

And no one was helping.

I tried to reach my powers out to him, but it took too much energy out of my fighting. I could do nothing as he fell past the halfway mark of the building. "Steve! Clint needs help!" I screamed. I started to run over beneath him, but an elf picked me up and threw me the opposite direction. I screamed his name the last time before that sound.

The heart wrenching thud of his body slamming against the ground.