Chapter 28

.28
TESSA: ?
?

~{}~

I opened my eyes to a little room with a door. My catsuit had turned white with a red spot from where I was stabbed.

Wait.

I was stabbed.

I was supposed to be dead.

What?

I stayed calm as I turned the knob to the door in front of me. I cracked the door open to an all white room. White walls, white table, white chairs, white plates with white cups in front of them, everything. All except the door on the other side. It was a golden color. I turned on my heel to the door I had just come through. It was silver. A clicking noise from behind made me jump. I turned back around to see a beautiful woman in an army uniform with red lipstick and big, brown curls. "Hello," she greeted with her British accent and a smile. I watched her as she sat down at the table and poured what looked like tea into two of the cups. "Won't you sit down?" I cautiously sat down in the chair across from her. Something about her seemed disturbingly familiar. I thought I had seen her in photo albums, but I couldn't piece it together.

"Do I know you?" I blurted out. She laughed.

"No, dear, but I sure know a lot about you from Steve. Talking non-stop about you every time he visited me. You would think that he would stop blabbering once in a while." She sipped her tea, leaving a red stain on the white cup.

"Wait, you're Peggy!" I exclaimed. She nodded. "But you died. I died. What is going on here?"

"Tessa, it'll all make sense when Howard gets here." Peggy looked at her watch and started tapping her feet. "Where is that man?" The golden door bursted open and a handsome middle aged man with my father's looks stepped in. He smoothed his hair down with a sigh.

"Look, Peg, I'm sorry. I really am. It's just that Dum Dum would not give me my hair gel, and I just had to look nice to see Te-" he stopped mid sentence when he saw me. The corners of his lips curled into a smile. "Hey, kid." I knew who this man was. I've seen him in so many photos.

"G-Grandpa?" I asked. He nodded and I jumped up from my chair. I plowed right into him and threw my arms around him. He returned it. When I let him go, I questioned him. "Where am I? Why am I here? What is this place? I thought I died! Why am I not dead already? Why am I seeing you right now? 'Cause if I'm hallucinating and I'm in heaven, I'll seriously start freaking out–"

"Tessa, calm down. It's not like that," Peggy interrupted. She gave an exasperated look towards Grandpa, who gave her a shrug. "You're in between?" It was more of a question than an answer.

"In between?"

"Look, Tess, you've sacrificed so much for others, and you gave up your powers to Clint so that he could live. So, we agreed that you have a choice. Go back to your family, or stay here with us."

I spit out my tea. "Of course I want to go back!" Peggy shook her head.

"It is very different than just going back. By going back, you're agreeing to deal with the suffering and pain you dealt with when you left." She gestured down at my stomach. "You don't have your powers anymore, so it'll take longer to heal. And personally. I don't think that anyone will be happy that you died – on purpose – in the first place." The three of us laughed softly. "But, on the other hand, if you stay, you won't have any more pain and you can stay here with us."

"That is a good point. I think I'll stay here," I decided.

"But if you stay here with us, you're agreeing that you won't be able to see your friends for a very long time. And if you go back, you can see your friends again," Howard countered.