Chapter 10

.10
STEVE: OUTSKIRTS OF NEW YORK
PRESENT DAY

~{}~

I smiled when she climbed into Sam's house. "Don't worry, guys. It's Sam's house," I said when they caught up. Boy, am I glad that I had that panic button. I was hoping that Stark would show, but he didn't. They both grinned, but panted at the same time.

"How - can you - run - so far?" Clint managed to say between breaths.

"Not important, Clint!" Bucky slapped him in the arm. Clint rubbed the spot where he got hit. "Let's go in." We walked into the front door just in time to see Sam yell at her.

"Who are you and what are you doing into my house?"

Tessa maneuvered out from under the gun and put up her hands in surrender. "Sir, Mr. Wilson, I -"

"How in the world do you know my name?" He asked her, but he didn't let the gun down. She kept her hands up, which was a smart choice.

"I-It w-was on your m-mailbox out fr-front," Tessa stuttered. She cleared her throat. "Mr. Wilson, I ran away. I-I didn't want to deal with my family anymore. I've been alone in the alleys of New York for about a month, and -"

"A month?" Tessa nodded. He put the gun down. "You have any food or water?" She shook her head. She went a month without food?!

"If you want me to go, I'll gladly go," she said, walking towards Bucky, Clint, and I's hiding place. It was right by the front door. Sam stopped her with a hand on her shoulder.

"No, stay," he said. Sam gestured for her to sit down. Tessa sat down on the couch next to him. "Tell me everything."

"Are you sure?" He nodded. "It's a long story, Mr. Wilson."

"Call me Sam," he said. "Want something?"

"Like, to eat?" Tessa asked. He chuckled and nodded. I let out a sigh. "Uh, sure." He went in the kitchen and came back out with two glasses of water, a bag of chips, and two Italian subs. He set it on the table. Sam sat down next to her and she took a deep breath. "Well, I guess I'll start now." She told him about her family, the kidnapping, the years of HYDRA, the Chicago mission, the rescue, running away, and being found. She explained it all to the very last detail. Sam didn't interrupt her at all. He let Tessa go on and on about her past. By the end, she was crying and he put his arm around her. She glared up at him. "I don't want to go back, Sam. But I want to see all of them, except my dad." I looked back at Bucky and Clint and nodded. We stepped out and went over to Tessa and Sam, who looked at us in shock.

"Tess, please come back," Clint asked, holding her hands. She smiled and nodded.

"I could use a bed." We all laughed. "How did you -"

"We saw you sneak into Sam's house, Tessa. Did he tell you that he's our friend too?" She gasped and looked at Sam.

"Sam?!" He was bent over in laughter.

"Sorry, kid. You were the one who broke into my house."

"Whatever," she said, looking at all of us. "I just know now that I'm not going to run away anymore."

~{}~

Sorry for the short chapter! Just one of those lazy days. :)