Chapter 1

.01
BUCKY: STARK TOWER
PRESENT DAY
~{}~

"Hello? Anyone there? Tony!" I yelled. The footsteps outside the door stopped. "Don't try to go away, I know what your footsteps sound like!" Tony walked into the living room at Stark Tower, finding me hanging off of the couch upside down. I was actually trying to see if the city looked so interesting upside down that it'd cure my boredom. The answer was no, by the way.

"What now, Bucky? You have cleaned out the fridge, destroyed my lab, and now I have to fix all the doors in the tower because of your arm. I am kinda busy, so what?"

"I'm bored," I stated simply, swinging my legs back and forth. "We don't really have any threats at the moment and a normal, sit around at home life is killing me!"

Miss Pepper Potts soon trailed in behind him, holding a tablet of some kind. She smiled at me. "Hi, James."

"Hi." I gave her a small smile back.

"Well, try it out! It's great!" He replied with sarcasm. "Stop breaking everything!"

"What can I do that won't destroy anything?" I groaned, and then accidentally fell off of the couch, hitting my head on the coffee table. When I got up I saw Tony smirking. Steve walked in and saw the blood running down my forehead. He slapped Tony upside the head, probably thinking it was him.

"Ow!" Tony yelled painfully. "I didn't do that, Steve! When I'm in the same room as Bucky when he gets hurt, that doesn't mean I'm the one who did it!" Steve just laughed.

"We could adopt a kid." Everyone looked at Tony confusedly. "What? Been thinking about it." He looked at Pepper with a grin, and she cocked her head to the side as if she was thinking.

"I don't see anything wrong with it," she said. "But you do know we'd have to get them schooling, and keep an eye on them, and pay for everything -"

"You think Stark won't be able to pay for it?" I joked.

"Above all, we'd have to keep them safe. Would we - Would we want them in this life, whatever this is?"

Tony approached her and put his hands on her hips. I rolled my eyes as he said, "Baby, we're the Avengers." He kissed her nose. "We're the best people out there to keep them safe."

Tony then looked at Steve. He was basically the co-boss of the tower other than Stark. Steve let out a sigh.

"Well, I know you won't change your mind, Tony," he said. "Boy or girl?"

"Girl," said Natasha's voice as she came into the room and stood beside Pepper, who nodded. "There's not a lot of girls here, so I only think it would only be fair."

"Did you listen the whole time?" I asked her. She nodded.

"I'm an ex-assassin," she stated bluntly.

"Touché."

"We all did, and I'm cool with it," Clint said as he walked into the room with Bruce and Thor. "Why not? I could teach them stuff, like, maybe, the only thing I can really do. Shoot a bow?" Everyone laughed.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," JARVIS said, "but Mr. Barton might want to take out the next HYDRA base I just found." Ever since three months ago, all Clint wanted to do was fight HYDRA and their bases. Everyone thought it was an effect of me showing up, but he denied that theory.

"Everyone, suit up," Steve said. He turned to Clint, catching his arm, and I heard him say, "I don't want to pry, but is this really what you want?"

The bowman only nodded before walking away.

When we were all ready, we took Stark's new jet and took off.

We flew the jet to the location of the new HYDRA base. When it landed, Steve laid out the plan.

"Thor and Banner, you take the outside. Stark, don't let anything come in or out. Romanoff and Barton will stay here. Buck and I will go inside and see if we find anything, got it?"

"Got it," everybody said in unison. We all put in our communicators and headed out.