Chapter 9

.09
TESSA: CITY
PRESENT

~{}~

"Steve?"

"Are you alright? Do you need help with it? Wait, how did you know my -" He started, but then got a better look at my face. "Tessa?"

"No, uh, bye!" I managed to say, I turned and started running as fast as I could to my alley.

"Tessa, wait!" He called after me. Even though he didn't do anything to me a month ago, I still couldn't have him take me back to Stark. No, anywhere but Stark.

I turned the corner and ran past my alley. Whoops. I couldn't turn back now. I had to keep running. I weaved in and out of people, trying no to knock people over. I muttered apologies to the people I did.

"Stop!" I heard Steve yell. I looked behind me and he was catching up to me. I sprinted around a corner. The next alley I saw, I ran into it. I only got halfway into it when Steve saw me in it. He slowly walked towards me. He wasn't panting. He reached out to me. I took a step away.

"Tessa, come back," he said softly. "Everyone misses you."

"Excluding Stark, of course." I snapped back.

"No, Tessa, especially Stark." My heart crinkled up. It wouldn't let anything take it.

"You are lying," I said hoarsely. He took another step towards me.

"Come back, Tessa. Do it for him."

"No!" I yelled. "He was my everything when mom died, Steve. I'm not his, so no. Not for him. Not for anyone."

"What about for the rest of us?" I shook my head. "What about for Clint?" My heart was beating fast. Clint probably missed me, but I had to make sure.

"How do I know that Clint misses me, Steve?" I asked him, trying to act heartless. "He might not even care anymore." I saw Steve's eyes go wide. He grabbed something out of his pocket and pressed the button. I suddenly felt an arm go across my throat and metal pressed against my forehead. I immediately took action. I grabbed the arm across my throat and twisted it, making the victim let out a cry of pain. I reached for the gun, but the man stretched his arm so it was out of my reach. "You made the wrong choice, pal," I gritted through my teeth. I turned around and flipped the grown man over my shoulder and I wretched the gun out of his hand. "Run," I whispered, pointing the gun at him. He nodded and ran out of the alley, past Steve and into the light. Steve had a confused look on his face. "Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm incapable, Steve." I slid the gun into my shorts pocket.

"I didn't say anything," Steve argued.

"You were thinking about doing something, I know you were!" I bickered back. "You get that look in your eye!"

"You've known me for three days!"

I let out a sigh. "He could have shot you, Steve! That wouldn't have helped you save anyone!"

"It would've saved you," he said quietly.

"I don't need saving. I was trained to be an assassin. I don't need someone around me. I don't need a family."

"But Tony -"

"I gave him a chance. He didn't take it," I interrupted. I gave him a soft smile. "Nice seeing you, Steve." I started to scale the fence, but I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Steve, let me go," I whispered. I didn't want him to see me, trying not to cry. I wanted to go back. I longed for Clint. I wanted Steve and Bucky. I wanted Bruce and Natasha. I even wanted Thor. I wanted a family. I wanted a home. "I have to do this, Steve," I said when he didn't let go.

"It isn't Steve," I heard Clint's voice say. I let out a small laugh and turned to face him. He looked tired and sad.

"Then, Clint, I have to go now." I shrugged off his shoulder and scaled the fence as quickly as I could. I jumped down, which hurt my ankle. I fell on my knees. I got up but bumped into someone else.

"God, this is the second time today," I muttered and I looked at the guy's face. Bucky.

"You didn't think we were letting you go away that easy, did you?" He asked with a grin on his face. It fell. "Tessa, come back. Please. Clint is a wreck." My heart broke.

"Did he fall off any buildings?" I asked him.

He smirked. "No, but I'm the one who had to save his butt because he was so out of it." My heart broke again. I tried to get past him, but he grabbed the edge of my shirt, the same one I had worn since they rescued me. It was covered in blood, but thankfully, people thought it was tie-dye.

"I'm not letting you go anywhere," he said. "You're not running away from us again."

"Watch me," I said and my voice cracked. I ran past him and across the street. I climbed up the side of the nearest building, using the fire escape. Bucky, Steve, and Clint weren't far behind me, though. I finally got to the roof and looked around. The buildings weren't far apart. I could probably jump across them, I thought. I ran to the edge and found out. I jumped with all that was left in me. I made it and landed with a somersault. I did that with 9 more buildings, which slowed them down. On the 10th building, the space was really far apart. I didn't notice that until I jumped. I flailed my arms and aimed for the fire escape. Clink, I heard as I landed on the ladder. I scampered down to the ground and ran as far as I could. I ended up on a quiet and peaceful street.

"Tessa, wait!" I heard Bucky yell, not far behind. I needed to do something. I ran up to a mailbox. Sam Wilson. Huh. Seems like a friendly enough name. I ran up to the door. Locked. I jogged around the house and checked the back door. Locked. I checked the nearest window. Unlocked. I wiggled through the window and shut it gently. If this guy is home, I don't need him to know that, I thought. I tip-toed through the back room and into the living room. It didn't seem like there was anyone home. I walked into the living room and plopped down on the couch. I closed my eyes. God, only if Tony wasn't a selfish idiot maybe I wouldn't be breaking into people's houses for a safe nap. I'd be at the tower, having a normal childhood. I wouldn't be an assassin, but a lot of people aren't an assassin anyways. What am I saying? I want to go home with Clint!

Click. I opened my eyes and saw the barrel of a gun pointing right at my face, with a not so friendly looking face behind it.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my house?"

Maybe he's not that friendly.