CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: Christmas

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: CHRISTMAS

With Lucy's sudden arrival at the Order she'd ended up sleeping on the spare bed in Fred and George's room. Molly Weasley had insisted they could move it to the girls' room but Lucy was perfectly happy to sleep in the same room as the twins and changed in the girls' room.

This made it convenient for her to discuss with the twins the ideas they had for their inventions without having to excuse her absence from anywhere. The twins had a whole range of ideas now and surely now had enough to stock the shop they desired.

On Christmas Eve when they were talking about just that George noticed the same vial of Amortentia that Lucy had taken by his feet. He picked it up and studied it curiously.

"What's wrong, George?" Fred asked.

"This potion," his eyes fell on Lucy. "What would happen if I took it myself?"

"Why don't you find out?" Lucy suggested.

"Won't it be dangerous?" Fred's eyebrows knitted together in concern.

"It'll be fine," George replied, blasé as he unscrewed the top and drunk the remaining contents of the vial. He smacked his lips together and frowned.

"What's wrong?" Fred's eyes were full of worry.

"It tastes like...water. Is this right?"

The twins turned to Lucy to find she had a smug look upon her face. "Yes."

"Really? Is that so you can't taste it in food?"

"No," she shook her head, still delighted. "I made sure that the contents of that vial was water before I took it. Now I can assure you that what I have brewed is really love potion and it does work. But I just fancied playing a prank on my dad, seeing as I knew he'd be downstairs at the meeting."

"You're a sly one, Snape," Fred chuckled. "A good actress too."

"If only he knew you were acting!" George handed the vial back to Lucy. "He'd be peeved."

"He was annoyed anyway, didn't you see the look on his face when I started swooning?" Lucy's glee was unmissable. "When your dad is Severus Snape you do just have to have a little fun."

There came a brief knock at the door before it was flung open. It was Ginny, her eyes wild. "Dad's back!"

*

And so Arthur Weasley had returned from St. Mungo's hospital and was able to join everyone the very next day for Christmas dinner.

Lucy found it so endearing to watch the Weasley children greet their father the previous day and to see how happy they all were. But now Lucy had the opportunity to sit to the right of him while he sat at the head of the table. She was just opening a present from Mrs Weasley when he turned to her.

"You're Lucy Snape, aren't you?" He beamed and held out a hand.

She took it. "The infamous Snape, yes."

"Your father is a great man — " (at this Ron snorted and Molly threw a glare at him). "Rather intelligent."

"Same goes for Lucy," Fred chipped in. He was sat on her left. "She's a whiz at Potions."

"Well I wonder who you got that from," Arthur laughed heartily.

Lucy returned to opening her present and found it to be a Weasley jumper. It was red, a similar shade to what the Gryffindor crest had, and the letter L was yellow. Lucy held it up in awe. "Mrs Weasley, this is lovely."

"I'm glad you like it, dear," Mrs Weasley smiled as all her children squeezed into their own jumpers, Lucy noticed that Harry and Hermione had their own ones too. Sirius, on the other hand had been gifted a pair of fingerless knitted gloves with his initials on and wore them while he cut into roast potatoes on his plate.

"I feel like an honorary Weasley." Lucy announced and all laughed.

Later on, when everyone had finished eating Sirius came and sat next to Lucy when the table was clear. "I was serious when I said about being an animagus."

"Why're you offering it to me?" Lucy asked curiously.

"Well, it's the perfect idea to get on your fathers nerves isn't it?"

Lucy smiled and then noticed Fred lingering in the hallway. "It's a done deal."

"Merry Christmas, Lucy."

She stood in the doorway. "Merry Christmas, Sirius."

He raised his glass to her before she wandered into the hallway. Fred stood there with a package in hand and held it out to her.

"Merry Christmas, Lucy."

Lucy took the package from him with wide eyes. "But I didn't get you anything."

"It's alright, you've been helping George and I out a lot; it's the least I could do."

Lucy began peeling away the edges of the paper to find a book on Potions. It wasn't just a regular Potions book though, it was one Fred had constructed himself out of all of Lucy's favourite ones and had bound the book himself with magic.

"It's not much," Fred scratched the back of his head gingerly. "But I thought you might — "

Lucy's arms were around him. "I love it."

Fred went as red as his hair. "You do?"

"Absolutely. You couldn't have given me anything better and I'm touched you've made it yourself."

"There's a little inscription for you on the front page," Fred opened up the book to reveal the writing. "You can read that when I'm not looking."

"Oh Fred," she embraced him tightly and he rubbed her back. She then looked up and saw mistletoe blooming above their heads.

He looked up too but seemed to shy away from asking.

But Lucy was already on tip toes and was kissing him. They smiled at each other when they let go and made their way upstairs. They made their way into their room and Lucy squeezed his hand before getting into bed.

When she knew that Fred and George had fallen asleep she turned on the dull lamp by her bedside and began to read the inscription in the book:

Lucy,

I know this book isn't a lot and you probably already own all of these potion recipes in other books but I couldn't resist compiling your favourites into one. You mean so much to me and you're the best girl a boy like me could wish for.

Merry Christmas and lots of love,

Fred.