XXXV. Will You?

Sunday, 3rd June.

"I am not going, Lucy!" I screamed and slammed the bedroom door on her face before diving under the comforter and wrapping myself in a cocoon. I heard the door creak open.

"I am going to pretend you didn't just do that." She said in a royal tone and started yanking my blanket away. Screw her. I'd rather lie here and sulk than go to a concert. "Now, we are going shopping for a sexy dress and thanks to your ugly mood, we are going to have to put some make-up on that... worn face."

"Or," my muffled sound came from underneath the covers and I held it even tighter to me. "You could save the money by not taking me!" I screamed the last part.

"Can't you tell me what happened?" I felt the bed dip and she sat on the edge but I made no move to come out of my hole. Or so I call it.

"I can't or you'll tell me to mark my territory and get Ezra back." I sobbed after saying it, the memories of everything I saw yesterday scarring me like that happened just a moment ago.

"Then that means it is the right thing to do!" She said in a duh voice and I glared at her from underneath my bubble of cloth. I sighed and popped my head out before holding the covers to my chin.

"I went to his place yesterday cause I found out the meaning of those Dutch words and well, he said it, Lucy. He had said I love you and he called me precious and sweetheart and beloved and just..." A heavy lump formed at the base of my throat and I couldn't get any more words out. Swallowing, I tried my best to plough ahead and just - hell, let's go word vomit way and then feel later. "So I went to his place and I thought he wasn't there so I went upstairs to our bedroom and realized he renovated the whole thing by putting up all these pictures he clicked of us on the walls. And by that I mean painted on or graphics or whatever and not framed and hung up pictures and they were absolutely beautiful and breathtaking and just amazing and I wrote him a note saying I love you too in Dutch and then I saw him sitting outside in the garden with Jade hugging and talking and smiling and laughing and happy, so happy and I just realized," I sucked in huge breaths, not letting the emotions hit me with full force. "This isn't my story, Lucy, it is his and it is Jade's. Haven't you seen how perfect they are? History and looks and money and everything! Where do I stand compared to that?"

"Fuck, Clara..." Lucy looked at me, her eyes reflecting the pain on my face. "Ezra isn't dumb. He knows what a bitch Jade is and where do you stand? Seriously? Wherever it is, it is in a better position compared to that trash. I mean, the words, the walls everything he's done for you, doesn't that matter? Doesn't it say something?" I did something of a scoff mixed with a snort to answer her question.

"Pity shit for being dragged into this inheritance thing. Oh yeah the inheritance, the real reason why he tolerated me."

"I'm going to let that slide for now." She muttered dryly and gave me a look through narrowed eyes. "And for what you saw, how can you be sure they have gotten back together-"

"Papers." I cut in, remembering an article from today's paper.

"God, you are such a hypocrite!" She exclaimed and I looked at her with surprise and hurt. "You complain of that fake shit called gossip on newspapers about you when you guys were cuffed and now you believe that same shit?" Okay, she did have a point there. "Look, I like to believe Ezra is head over heels for you because you are an amazing woman who is true inside and out unlike that bitch. I'm sure he has brains enough to know the difference between you and Jade."

Now for that, I did scoff. It damn well deserved that scoff.

"Yeah? Brains? For the past fucking month of May he's seen me as 'Jade' the woman who will run with the money when the cuffs are off. He wanted to wait until marriage to actually believe me and even then I can swear he would still have doubts if Jeremiah kept fucking with his mind!" Boy that felt amazing. I needed to get out the anger which was subdued by sorrow. Finally, I sighed, "sorry, Lu. I'm just outta my mind right now." When I looked at her, I found her thinking hard about something before she nodded after having a decision fixed.