XXIX. Bubbles

Sunday, 27th May. Day 27.

I stared at the ceiling and counted the seconds as they passed. My lack of sleep wasn't just because I got a seven hour nap yesterday after getting drunk on vodka but it also had something to do with how heavy my heart felt. I looked over Ezra to check the digital clock. There were still two minutes for 6am, the time Ezra set an alarm for to have a conference call with a few foreign dignitaries in the home office.

Two minutes felt like forever in limbo but when you had the mental countdown running through your mind, it wasn't hard to keep track. Two minutes later, the beeping started and it took Ezra three seconds to rouse from sleep and turn the alarm off. He turned to look at me and the surprise was evident on his face.

"You're awake." He said in his sleepy voice but I made no move to look at him. I was still staring at the ceiling, which looked grey-ish from the light of the city outside.

"Never slept." I said, though I don't know why and sat up. "What time is the video call?"

"8am." He replied slowly, still studying my face for any reaction or emotion.

"I'll take the timeout."

"You could stay," he said casually but as he sat up, I could feel the tension rolling off of him.

"I have orders at the store." I lied but he didn't call it.

"Alright." The tension between us was prominent but neither of us did anything to lighten it.

We freshened up and had some breakfast. Dolores and Sandra tried lightening up the mood but failed miserably. I didn't blame them though, Ezra and I were beyond repair.

"I'll have someone drop you." Ezra said while turning on the flat screen in the home office. Funny how twenty-seven days ago, we couldn't stand each other in this same room and now, I couldn't stand being apart.

"No thanks." I said and Ezra was about to argue but I cut in. "Before you, I was independent. Being cuffed to you doesn't change that. You don't have to look out for me, I'm no one to you." The sudden flash of anger in me rose to higher grounds. I couldn't explain it myself but I felt the need to get out of there, far away from him. I quickly texted David for the timeout and stuffed my phone, the cuffs and anything else that seemed important into my bag and I rushed out.

Once I reached the busy part of the city, my mind felt as ease. The busy rush of people and the sounds of the city brought a pleasant feeling to my mind. Ironic really, considering how something chaotic could bring peace to someone. Maybe the internal conflict raging in my mind for the past few days had taken a toll on me.

I took my time in walking to the store, relishing the feeling of being one with the crowd where no one knew me and my problems couldn't chase me. The polluted city seemed like a little bubble, my limbo for an hour. A place where I could be at ease and my heart and mind couldn't bother me. My bubble was going to burst in less than an hour but I brushed it aside and relished my present.

I waited at the zebra crossing for the little green man to light up so I could cross the road. My thoughts drifted to all things comforting. Maybe tomorrow I'll go to my apartment. It had been too long and I missed the homey feeling. I felt like I replaced my couch and my bed with the comfort I got being with Ezra. God, I felt so sappy. I shook my head and it was then when I registered the feeling of someone knocking into me and the weight of my bag disappearing into thin air. I looked at my bag-less shoulder and then to the man running away with said bag.

Shit. My wallet.

But more importantly, the cuffs.

"Wait!" I screamed and took off after the guy. I gave silent thanks because I was wearing a pair of jeans and my converse shoes. The man expertly weaved between the walking crowds of people. He looked like someone who had done this kind of thing before and I didn't doubt it. On the other hand, I had zero experience chasing someone down a busy street and hence, I bashed into people every now and then. "Stop!" I shouted like as if he would. Part of me wished he would stop and just hand my bag back to me while the other part of me wished I wouldn't catch him just so Ezra wouldn't get his inheritance. I mentally kicked myself for being so bad. Time for this bubble to pop, sooner than expected of course.