XXIII. Sunny Days

Monday, 21st May. Day 21.

"Like hell I'm wearing that." I crossed my arms and took on a defensive stance.

"There's nothing wrong with it!" He held out the bikini - no, scrap of material - in his hands and showed it to me like it was some innocent piece of black clothing. "Other women wear them."

"I'm fine with my one piece. If only you could drive me to my apartment."

"I'm not going to take you all the way there just for your swim suit, Clara. There's nothing wrong with this."

"Maybe I should go topless since other women do that too!" I spat out and saw the flash of desire in his eyes as he thought about the image. "God, Ezra, you are disgusting."

"Sarong included?" He asked sheepishly and I glared at the infuriating man.

"Why do you even want to go to the beach?"

"I need to think and take a swim." He said quietly. Like as if I believed him one bit.

"Last time I checked, you have a damn olympic sized swimming pool in your backyard and a jacuzzi!"

"I need the fresh air." He replied and I gave out an exasperated sigh.

"Fine." I muttered and snatched the slinky piece of scrap from his hands. Ugh. I looked at the scraps. How is that supposed to cover anything? But more importantly why would three triangles even reach in the thousands? I swear, the rich lived an overrated life.

***

As I lounged on the deck and soaked in the sun, my mind ran rampant with thoughts that wouldn't give me a moment of peace or even breathing space. Nine days. Just nine more days remaining. And then what? I get married, I become a Copper... or, I'll get married to a Copper who hasn't even said the three special words back to me. Rejection hit me in the heart as I thought about it. Even though this marriage was supposed to be on the basis of true love, Ezra must think of it as nothing but a business deal. Oh Marvin, what did you hope to accomplish from this?

The realization then struck me like a wrecking ball. Shit, I was in love with a man who was never going to love me back. How did I put myself in this position? I mentally went through all the days we had spent together. Somewhere down the line, we understood each other and I got to see a side of Ezra that no one is his professional or personal life had ever seen before. A man who cared and felt and was just... human. I frowned. Why couldn't he just have been as ass? I wouldn't have found myself in this position then. I waa going to be a wife. A... partner. Someone to stand by his side in the public eye and someone to provide company in bed. But that waa all there was to it, wasn't there? That waa where the line would be drawn. I would have a hopeless one sided relationship and we all know those never work out.

A drop of water fell on my cheek and I swiped it away. I didn't know I was crying. When another drop landed on my forehead, I blinked open my eyes and there stood the magnificent Adonis with drops of water running down his face and bare chest.

"Why are you staring at me?" I asked when I found the energy to speak. He blinked a few times and then picked up the towel that was folded and kept near my feet.

"Don't you want to swim?" He asked and I saw he avoided my question but I didn't pay much attention to it. He must probably be worried about whatever business deal he had going on and hence, the day at the beach... or was it me?

"Not really." I said softly. There was a chance I might just drown myself out there out of frustration but I didn't dare voice that thought. Or the thoughts that preceded his arrival.

"I'm sorry I dragged you out here. I haven't had a workout in a long time and well..." He trailed off and shrugged.

I sighed. "It's okay. This attaching to the hip thing doesn't work well with schedules." I swallowed. And what about after marriage? What waa there to hold us together after the cuffs were removed? Certainly not love.