X. All Fall Down (Part II)

"Excuse me?" I asked again, thinking I might not have heard him properly. "She tripped me!" I enunciated each word clearly for him to understand.

"Don't blame this on Sally." He glared and I continued to stare in shock. What. In. The. Fuck?

"We all felt the tension in the room."

"Why the fuck are you blaming this on me?"

"I didn't say that." He said a bit quietly.

"Yes, you did!" I shouted back. "Sally and I have never had a good relationship ever since our school days. Didn't you see the way she was treating me at the table or were you too busy admiring her evil witchy beauty?!" I was crying for a timeout right then. Why, out of all days, did he have to take the timeout in the morning today?

"I wasn't-"

"Shut up, Ezra. Clearly, the only thing that matters to you is the status and the money. It is obvious you only take the side of the rich assholes." I looked away so he couldn't see the tears and mascara trails.

"Clara..." He said softly and inched closer.

"Get the fuck away from me." I snapped and he pulled his hand back from where it was about to touch my cheek.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"You don't mean anything the way you say it. Either your English language sucks or you mean what you say quite literally."

"Clara..." He started again and turned my face to look at him. "I'm sorry," he whispered and took out a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe my cheeks.

"You aren't." I closed my eyes and shook my head. I heard him let out a heavy breath and the soft cloth left my skin.

When we reached home, I was prepared to run inside but then Ezra lifted me up bridal style before I could make a move. I struggled and screamed and even tried hitting him but he didn't react and took us both straight to the bedroom. Once inside, he all but threw me on the bed and straddled me.

"What the hell are you doing?" I shouted and struggled, quite hopelessly actually, but he leaned in close and his proximity made me freeze like a deer in the spotlight.

"Just listen. Please." He stressed on the please and took in a deep breath. "Why didn't you tell me you knew Sally?"

"I didn't know you knew her. It only hit me when we were at their doorstep." I said and then asked a little while later, "how do you know her?"

"I don't know her that well. I know Robert."

"She married him for the money, Ezra. Sally has always been a bitch. Even in school."

"You didn't say anything at the table."

"And risk your and Lucy's friendship with them breaking because of me?" I asked softly and tears threatened me once again. Ezra visibly softened.

"I'm sorry I didn't stand up for you. I didn't think. I saw Jer and then..." He trailed off.

"Why do you keep accusing me of having something to do with him?" I asked and he shook his head and pulled us both to a sitting position.

"Forget it. It doesn't matter."

"It does. You become... I don't know. What did he do to you?" I pushed him for an answer.

"Nothing."

"Ezra..."

"Do you want a shower?" He asked instead and I sighed and let it go. I'd ask him sometime soon but today was just not the day.