I. Penn And Copper

Side Note: Picture above is of Jaimie Alexander as Clara Penn. Enjoy :-)

_________________________________________________

Knock. Knock.

"Come in." The old, cracking voice said. I twisted the rather rusty doorknob and opened the huge dark wood door slowly, it creaked as I did.

"Good morning, Marvin," I said cheerfully and grinned widely as I stepped in. Marvin looked at the bouquet of sunflowers in my hand, smiled and slowly shook his head. His weakness prevented him full, lively motion.

"I thought we agreed you wouldn't be getting any more flowers." He said and I sat on the comfy brown leather chair kept conveniently besides his bed. The maid, Sandra I think, took the bouquet from me and silently admired the full bloom before leaving to give us some privacy.

"A few sunflowers never hurt anyone." I smiled at the man who I considered to be my father even though we weren't related in terms of blood. But this man, Marvin Copper, could make anyone love him. It is, and forever will be, in his personality. His charming smile could make anyone melt and his eyes shone with heavy love and admiration.

"Samantha loved sunflowers," he commented in a soft whisper and stared out of the window which overlooked a beautiful scenery of the garden. His people knew well how to take care of it.

"Come on, pops, this is not the time to go all emotional on me." I grabbed his attention and he chuckled weakly. I joined him with my own soft laughter.

"I'll be meeting her soon. How long has it been? Twenty-four? Twenty-five years?" He looked up at the ceiling to count the years. Samantha Copper, was Marvin's wife. She died giving birth to their younger son, Ezra.

"Four." I said. "Ezra is twenty-four, isn't he?"

"Yes but he does act like he is a hundred." Marvin added in all honesty and we laughed. I couldn't agree with him more. He and I both knew how well of an arrogant ass Ezra Copper was.

"Sometimes I don't get how he is your son," I giggled and placed my hand in his, squeezing it to send unspoken messages and words of encouragement.

"Neither do I. Maybe he just needs a good woman to set him straight."

"Marvin, you and I both know no woman would survive a day with him." I looked down at his hand. The jade ring I gave him is wrapped warmly around his pale, wrinkled index finger. I smiled at the memory of how I first met him. His charming nature could grab anyone's attention.

"Clara?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you." A glimmer of appreciation sparked in those dulling grey eyes. I smiled, my eyes involuntarily welling themselves with unshed tears.

"Whatever for?"

"Being the daughter I never had. I will always be indebted to you."

"I am honoured, sir." I bent my head in a slight bow. Despite being the strongest person I have ever met, I knew that Marvin Copper had to go soon. Being seventy-five had its effects but Marvin and I made our peace with everything.

"Do me a favour and take care of my sons." He said and I gave him a wry smile.

"Now we both know I can't do that."

"True, they are impossible rug rats." He sighed, all the pain and pleasure coming out in that slow, long drawl. "Ezra will need you though," he whispered something I couldn't catch.

"Sorry?" I said but he slowly shook his head and smiled.

"Nothing, dear."

"Okay..." I gave the man a long hard look before giving up. Making Marvin Copper spill was another impossible thing all by itself. A heavy silence settled, the only sound in the background was the dripping of the medicine in the IV.