XVI. Truth

I stared at the waters of Haller Lake as anger boiled in my blood even though there were tears streaming down my face. This wasn't healthy for me. I wanted to scream so badly but I couldn't. How long before Ezra's head turned to ogle at some other woman? How long before he realized I was just a plain old Jane? How long before he realized he wasn't the type to settle down and he definitely could not settle down with me? And how long before he realized he was better off giving Jade a second chance?

He waa surprised I couldn't tell what I felt when he should have realized it didn't really matter. It was temporary. Whatever we have will only last a month. He would come back to his senses when he is the majority share holder of the Copper House and everything is under his name. Once that was done, he didn't need me or anyone else and that's when he would realize he prefered his bachelor life instead. But why is he so hell bent on forcing me to admit something I didn't want to admit? Did he get off on seeing me bend to his will? The one woman who could stand up to him and say no finally under his thumb? Is that what he wanted? To ruin me and then throw me with the rest?

"Dear, are you alright?" An old lady who was walking in front of me looked at me and asked.

"Oh, I'm fine, thanks." I plastered on a small smile and wiped the tears from my eyes.

"You clearly aren't, miss." She said and sat besides me on the park bench. "Are you new here? I haven't seen you around."

"I just wanted some space to think." I said softly and smiled at her.

"Is this about a young man?" She asked and I laughed out though I cried. "Ahh well, not all of them are smart."

"This one just doesn't get it." I said and the old lady made a face.

"Not many do." She said. "I had a tough time getting my husband." She showed me her ring. "He was as clueless as they come. We spent so many years arguing I always wondered why I keep up with him."

"Why do you keep up with him?" I asked and sniffed.

"I remember why I love him." She said and we both smiled. "We've been married 59 years now."

"Must be nice." I whispered and got lost looking at the band of gold.

"Well? What about your mister?" She asked and I laughed a sad one.

"My mister doesn't have a clue he will end up throwing me away when he's done with me."

"Why do think that?" She looked sad and confused and all I could do was close my eyes and shake my head in pain.

"He's just trying to prove something but when everyone knows he isn't the type to settle down then..." My throat constricted.

"Dear, when men fall in love, they perform miracles." She said and I looked at her with disbelief. "I mean to say they can change for the better."

"I doubt he's in love. He's heart broken over another woman."

"Well, does he smile when you're around?"

"Um... yes, but-"

"Do you both get along?" She cut in.

"Kind of."

"Then you both are fine." She said and I gave a lopsided smile.

"It's not that simple, it's complicated."

"Nothing is ever complicated, dear. Only because you think like that, you feel it is. If you look closer, the answer is right there and it is very simple." She said and I thought about it.

"You're right." I said and sighed. "Thank you."

"Oh no worries, dear, you seem like a beautiful, smart, young lady. I'm sure this lad knows what he has."