(chapter 16) Something Worth living For

Start from the beginning

He knew she had every right to be angry, but he thought she’d been overacting a bit because technically nothing had happened with Ally.

That’s only because Heather walked in on you before something could.

He scowled at the voice knowing that it was true. This seemed to only make him feel guiltier and did nothing to solve the muddled thoughts in his head. Love was way too complicated, he concluded and it had him wishing that he could turn it off for just one day. But he knew even such an extreme measure wouldn’t stop his mind from worrying over everything.

He knew he should make things right with Heather, reassure her that he loved her and wanted to be with her only. But even as he’d stood there in front of her last night, while she accused him the lowest things, he couldn’t bring himself to say it. For the first time since being with Heather, Eric wasn’t so sure if he had made the right decision with her.

He knew he cared for her, but did he care enough to spend the rest of his life with her?

“Daddy? Hello daddy.” Eric focused on the voice that called him.

“Hmm… what?”

“I’ve been calling you, but you’re not listening.” Chloe complained.

Eric leaned forward in his seat to give his daughter his undivided attention. “I’m sorry, Chloe. Is there something you wanted?”

She nodded, “I’m thirsty.”

Getting up from the sofa, Eric headed with Chloe into the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator and examined its content.

“We have some apple juice if you want?”

“Yes please.”

“Apple juice it is.”

He poured her a generous amount and handed the glass to her. “Be careful, okay.”

“Okay. Can I watch cartoons?” she asked it with such an adorable face there was no way Eric could say no. besides, he wasn’t really watching the game.

“Of course. Now run along.”

Chloe turned and headed back to the living area. Eric replaced the juice in the fridge and was about to head back too when Heather walked in.

“I’m headed in to the office.” She stated grumpily.

“On a Saturday.” Eric sounded surprised. “This late.”

“Yeah, I’ve got some work to do and figured I’d get more done there.” She replied not looking at him. “I’ll see you later.”

“Heather, wait please. We need to talk. We can’t keep-”

“We can’t keep what? Living like this, with you in denial that you’re still in love with your ex?” She accused,

Eric was bowled over with this accusation. Where had this come from?

He wasn’t in love with Ally, was he?

“Heather, I’m not-”

“Don’t try to deny it.” She interrupted. “I can see it every time you look at her. You know not once have I seem you look at me the way you looked at her last night.”

“Of course I’d look at her in a different way. What she and I shared is different from what we have.”

Heather shook her head. “You don’t get it. When you look at her-”

But Eric never got a chance to find out what she was going to say, because a gasp and the smashing of glass sounded from the living room had Heather stopping mid-sentence.