ER Encounters (Harry)

I had just pulled a pipping hot mug out of the microwave before sitting down on one of the ill-supporting plastic chairs in the break room. They matched the cheap tables in the room. For a state-of-the-art hospital, you’d think they would spend a little on making the nurses and doctors who work their comfortable. I sipped, letting the warm liquid fill my stomach, soothing my sore muscles from the inside. Fifteen minutes was not a long enough break. I closed my eyes, dreaming of a warm shower, soap, and my toasty bed, my thoughts were interrupted.

“(Y/N), I need you out there, we’re swamped,” the lead nurse called for me from the entrance of the break room, “I know you’re on your break, but just take the kid that’s in the lobby. It’s non-urgent, just a small abrasion.”

I nod, leaving my comforting cup of tea behind. Rounding the corner to the lobby, I grab the patient file information with a clipboard. My eyes glance over it as I step into the lobby.

“Harry.” I call. A tall slender man stands, towering as he makes he way towards me.

‘A Kid? A Kid?! This is no kid. This is Harry Styles.” I almost scream to myself. His eyes meet mine as I realize I’ve not said a single word, I stare at him a bit awkwardly before words finally escape my mouth, “This way.” I turn my back, my face feeling a bit hot from embarrassment, leading him into the examination room. I motion for him to sit on the paper covered exam table.

“It says here you’ve scraped up your elbow?”

“Um, yeah.” His words leave his lips like slow molasses. “Just a bit.”

“Can I see?” He slowly rolls up the sleeve of his pale blue button-up. There is a slight scrape, nothing more than a needing a little cleaning and a simple bandage, I try to fight back the smile on my face. Such a small cut, definitely not one worth of a visit to the ER for. “Can I have you take your outer layer off so I can properly clean the area?” He nods, pulling the shirt from his biceps, I try not to stare, but it is nearly impossible not to. He catches me, but smirks it off, I turn towards the medical cabinet in the room, getting the solution to clean his wound, but also hiding my furiously blushing cheeks. After composing myself I turn back around, armed with a syringe of cleaning solution. I hold a cloth below the scrape as I spray the solution in the wound, catching any flushed dirt in the cloth. He hisses a bit, “So, how’d you scrape yourself?”

“Just messing about, stupid really.” I nod and continue, finally drying off the cut. “What’s your name?” He changes the subject.

“I’m (y/n).”

He smiles at hearing my name, “That’s one I won’t soon forget.” His cheeky dimples emerge, the ones he is so well known for. I turn towards the cabinet once again, to get a bandage. He speaks again, “You sure do have a lucky boyfriend.” If any other man had used that line on me, it would have been cheesy, but somehow when Harry said it, it took on a whole new charm. My cheeks blush again.

“If I had one, I suppose he would be.” I bit my lip as I come back towards him, this time with a bandage. I secure it, as he hisses, the spot being a bit tender. “Does it hurt?” I whisper a bit more softly, trying my best not to hurt him.

“It’s bearable,” he watches my motions, our faces closer as he does.

“You don’t have a boyfriend, would it be terribly forward of me to ask you on a date?” He suddenly says. I look up from my work, his eyes burned into mine.

“It would be terribly forward.” I comment, pulling away. Things rush through my head, patient confidentiality, he’s younger than me, not by much, but still, and he’s Harry Styles. Then it hits me, Harry Styles is asking me out on a date, I’d be crazy to say no. “but, I like men who are a bit aggressive.” I turn towards him again, a smile on both our faces, knowing that by ‘aggressive’ I mean a few things.