Chapter 20

I stand at the pathway that leads to my brother's house, and look up at his beautiful building. This looks like a house from one of my books that I owned as a kid. The garden is filled with little lamps that illuminate the different kinds of bushes and flowers, and the street lights showcase all the fancy cars that stand in the road.

"Fancy Shmancy!" I pull up my nose and mumble to myself.

The light brown and samon paving bricks lead me to his front door. I knock on the wooden door with the abstract block pattern.

"Hello Beautiful..."

I would recognise that voice anywhere. I turn around and just as I thought, behind me stands Rob. The rapid beating of my heart can almost be heard in the quiet of the night.

"Rob. What are you doing here?" I am doing a terrible job at disguising my fear.

"Well, I was just in the neighbourhood and I thought I would pay your friend a visit."

He takes another drag of his cigarette and he begins to walk closer to me. I can smell that he has been drinking, and he has a certain edginess to him?

"Rob, what do want with him? What do you want with me? Why cant you just leave us alone?"

Before I even have a chance to register his movements he has my cheeks gripped between his fingers of his one hand, his grip tightening.

"Because I fucking loved you Lea and you decided to fuck things up. Because this man," he points at the house, "has ruined things for me, for the third time in my life." His breath smells like whiskey, "and tonight I am going to ruin things for him. Did you really think that I would stay with you after what the two of you did? No Lea, it doesn't work like that; I am going to expose everything. The two of you, walking around like nothing happened, makes me fucking sick!"

He lets go of my face with a violent shove that makes me stumble slightly backwards.

I need to get him away from this house, what if Zoe and Madison are in here?

As calm as I can manage I try and persuade him to leave "Rob, it wasn't, it isn't what you think. Lets get out of here and talk okay?"

"You want to leave, before I get the chance to introduce his partner in crime to his wife? No, no, no Lea. You arrived just in time. You can be the grand finalie..."

With his final words Rob knocks me to the ground and the last thing I remember is seeing my brother open the door, and the glint of a gun tucked in the back of Rob's jeans...