Chapter 13

I had to see Kate tonight. The way that I left her the other night was not right. She was upset and vulnerable, which not like her at all. Kate never cried, she is one of the strongest women I know, so for her to break down like that on Tuesday night was completely unexpected. I'm not sure what caused it or why; maybe I was being too pushy, maybe I should just have just left her and her private life alone.

Ah fuck, who am I trying to kid here. There is no way I could have just left her alone knowing that she might be involved with psycho creep. This fucker has some serious issues, and I knew it the moment I received the package from him on Monday morning. A neat little black box with my name written on it, left at the reception desk of my office. When I opened it I found three pictures, one of our bedroom, one of Kate and a man kissing on the dance floor and another of Kate giving him, what looks like a blow job. The image spins around in my mind and immediately makes me nauseous. In the box I also found a pair of my old jeans, a condom wrapper and a note:

"Kate was gracious enough to lend them to me after an amazing night of fuckery. I thought I'd share with you some photos of our night together... It's my turn to end you, and if you even think of showing Kate any of this, I will show her what you have been up too..."

This fucker was playing a sick game and after talking to him on the phone, I knew that he was dangerous. I'm still not sure what exactly he knows, or who he is, so I don't want to take any chances. His last sentence makes me nervous; did he find something at Lea's that we didn't get rid of, were we being followed?

I can't get hold of Lea no matter how many times I try and she is not returning any of my messages. If she would just answer her fucking phone all this shit will be put to rest. I will be able to find out if this Rob guy is her crazy ass fiancé, and if he is, I can find out exactly what it is she told him. If she doesn't return my calls tomorrow I swear to God I'm going to drive to her house and get the fucking answers that I am looking for. Why did she have to move half way across the fucking country; Jesus she has always been such a floater, so laid back, without a care in the world. I knew that she would help me with my little problem; she had no connections to anyone on this side of the world and Lea would do anything for me, isn't that what little sisters are for? I hated asking her for help, but when I called her that night, she jumped in her car and came straight over.

I still don't understand what she meant by, 'I told him what he wanted to hear."? Why didn't she just tell him I was her brother, and I was just visiting? She must have had her reasons and I know whatever it was it was in my best interest.

Lea never stayed in one place for more than 6 months, she was in and out of relationships and I almost fell off my chair when she told me she was engaged. When I asked her who this guy was and where she had met him, all she said was that he was amazing and where she met him didn't matter. She had been seeing him for a year and she said it was time that she settled down and he seemed like a good bet. She then started rambling on about this new website she found that has amazing travel specials or some shit. If this is the same fucker that she is engaged to, then this boy has a hell coming down on him. Messing with my wife and my sister, fuck you.

I knew that 'Rob' was going to be at Kates tonight, so as I sat on my leather lounge suit, staring at the flat screen tv and watching my reflection stare back, I fought my own internal battle of whether or not I should go over to her house. It wasn't really much of a fight; I had already decided to go there the moment she had told me that he was coming over. I had to make sure that she was ok. It was already 10h30 so he should've been gone by now right?

As I wait for the electric gate to open, I think of what I am going to say to her? I should just tell her that this man is not good. I should show her the pictures he sent me and the note, but how do I explain it. What if he tells her, what if he shows her whatever evidence he has? I can't take the chance, not now; I can't risk anything so early into it. So far I have been lucky. There hasn't even been a missing poster put up; absolutely nothing and I would like to leave it that way. The police were not even investigating; he was a grown man, so if he decided to go on his merry old way, who were they to interfere?

I pulled into the driveway and I could practically feel my blood pressure rising. A sleek black BMW was parked in my spot, and all the lights in the house were off, except one. I knew that if I walked into that things would end badly. My mind was clouded with fucken Kill Bill mist and all I was seeing was red. If I walked in there and saw him and Kate laughing and giggling together, or even worse kissing and cuddling, I knew I would fucking kill him.

I stand in front of the door, and decide that this is a terrible idea. This night would not end well for anyone if I walked into this house. I turned around and walked back towards my car. I slid my key into the ignition, lit a smoke and as I began to reverse out of the driveway, I heard the shattering of glass. If that fucker hurt her...

I hit the brakes, jumped out my van and ran towards the front door, and like a fucking moron I drop the front keys in the god damn hydrangea bush while fumbling to find the right one; for fucks sakes... It took me so long to find the keys that I had considered kicking down door. When I finally found them and got the door unlocked, I quietly opened the door.

If this was the same man that knocked my ass out before, I needed to have the element of surprise on my side. I quietly move through the entrance hall, through the kitchen and make my way towards the only light in the house that is on.

As I stand in the arch way and watch my Kate make love to another man, my heart shatters into a million tiny pieces. Every beautiful memory that I ever shared with her replays in my mind like a movie. As my mind to tries to make sense of what I am seeing; I feel the adrenaline that was pumping through my veins slowly turn into rage. The mist again begins to suffocate my mind and when the man that she is making love to looks me in my eye and smiles I realise that this is all part of his sick fucken game.

I don't know how I manage to do it, but somehow, I find myself walking back out of the house that was once mine, the house that was once filled with love, the house I wanted to grow old in with Kate. I stand by that same god-for-saken bush as it hits me; the man that Kate is seeing, the man that she is fucking is none other than Robert Mulman, the same sick fucker that use to beat his girlfriend in college. What was her name, Melissa? Morgan? Megan, her name was Megan. This was the same fucker that had been expelled for raping a matriculate in the bathroom of the high school next door to our college.

What the hell am I going to do now? Fuck Kate, how did you get involved with this man? I need to get her away from him. I need to get him away from my children, and right then, outside my once happy home I decide that I need to get Kate back, I need to make her fall in love with me again.