Chapter 14

It has been a busy week for me; my table is littered with papers and files are stacked throughout my office. I am resting my chin on the palm of my hand as I scrutinize an excel sheet filled with figures which reflect this year's profits. 'Blackhirste and Bros Construction, the largest independently owned construction company in the country has managed to double its profits from last year, and from the look of things, is in an excellent position to take the operation over the border.

I begin finalizing the draft when Kerry, my PA, walks in.

"Mrs Stanton, I am sorry to interrupt," She walks into my office carrying a long black box.

"This came for you M'am." She places the box on my table.

"Oh," I sit up and put my glasses on the file marked F.A.R.

"What this?" I pull the box towards me.

"I'm not sure; it was dropped off on my table while I went to get a cup of coffee." She looks embarrassed and begins fiddling with the button of her blazer.

"Don't worry about it Kerry," I carefully open the box and lying on a bed of white silk is a small black card, "I'm sure this will solve the mystery." I try giving her my most reassuring smile.

I turn the card around and written in neat cursive writing it reads,

"But he who dares not grasp the thorn, should never crave the rose."

No name. I turn the card back over to ensure that I didn't miss anything.

"Mmm?"

"What's wrong Mrs Stanton?" Kerry is still standing across from me, her prying eyes trying to read the contents of the card.

"Nothing; there's no name?" I put the card on the table and reach for the box. I unwrap the silk, and lying within, is the most magnificent red rose that I have ever seen.

The petals are as red as blood and the smell that fills my office, from this one flower, is absolutely delightful.

"Wow that is one intense looking rose." Kerry has now shuffled to stand next to me.

"Yes it is something isn't it?" I hold the large rose up to admire its beauty in the light that shines through the large windows of my tenth floor office.

"I'll go get you a vase."

Kerry dashes out my office, and I hear her heals clicking all the way down the passage.

The only person that I could think of that would send me something so beautiful is Rob. I pick up my phone and text him,

"Thank you for my wonderful gift. Every time I look at it, I will think of you. I can't wait to see you and thank you properly ;-)"

Ever since Friday night, Rob and I have been texting each other like teenagers that have just began dating. We have spent almost every night talking until the early hours of the next morning, even the nights that he has come over. As soon as he gets home, he calls me, and we end up talking again as if we haven't seen each other for years. It is ridiculous; I cannot believe that at my age I can actually have a crush on someone? After Bryce, I honestly didn't think that I would ever meet another man, never mind date someone.

Rob was very sweet about it. On Tuesday he came over and as promised, Zoe and him made pizza together. On my pizza, he had very romantically written the words with pepperoni slices "Date me." Well, that is what it was meant to say, but Madison picked the "D" off, so it actually said, "Ate me."

He was over yesterday as well, to replace a fused light bulb. I told him that I had done it numerous times by myself but he insisted that it was a man's job and that he would gladly come and assist his "damsel in distress."