I Didn't Want To Hurt No Body

Brian wasn’t in the bus. I really didn’t expect him to be, but I thought I should look. I really needed to make him understand, but I couldn’t do that if I couldn’t find him.

“You ok, Maya?” Jess asked when she saw me. I guess I looked pretty bad. My eyes were probably puffy from crying and I probably had grass stains from sitting in that field.

I shook my head and suddenly burst out into tears. She wrapped her arms around me comfortingly. She rubbed my back and led me into the back lounge so I could cry in peace. 

When my crying slowed down, she asked, “What happened?” I wiped my eyes. I still just wanted to cry my eyes out and never talk about what happened again, but I figured it might feel nice to get this off my chest.

“Connor kissed me and Brian saw and now he thinks I’m cheating on him,” I explained in rush. He eyes got real wide. She was just as shocked as the rest of us.

“I’m going to hurt him. How could he do that? He knows you and Brian are together,” she told me obviously outraged. I let our a sigh and blew my nose into a tissue. “We’re gonna go find Brian and tell him what happened and he’s gonna listen,” she added standing up and dragging me out of the bus. I knew he wouldn’t listen even if we did find him, which was highly doubtful. Warped Tour was a big place.

We searched for him until Jess said that he had to be at the stage to play the set and since they were on in about twenty-five minutes, we headed there. Brian wasn’t at the stage when we arrived.

“Stephen, you know where Brian is?” she asked. I could hear the anger in her voice. She was such a good friend. Here I was, a complete mess, and she was taking charge.

“I haven’t seen him since he left this morning,” he answered with a shrug. He continued to tune his bass. Jess let out an angered sigh and grabbed a pair of drumsticks. She drummed hard on the top of one of the guitar cases. She was obviously upset and my feelings matched hers exactly. I sniffled a bit and continued to wait.

After a few moments, Josh came running into the backstage area huffing. “Guys...you need to...to come to the merch....table. Brian...” he told us out of breath. I could barely breathe when he said Brian. Was he ok? What if he was hurt?

All of us ran over to the merch tent practically forgetting about the show. They couldn’t start without Brian anyway. As soon as we arrived, we could see Brian laying on the ground behind the table. A few people from other bands were surrounding him. Connor was nowhere to be found, which I was thankful for. I didn’t want to face again after what had happened.

I ran up to Brian my heart beat out of control. I was shaking. What if he wasn’t ok? How could I live with myself if he died mad at me? He wasn’t going to die, Maya, my conscience told me. I was being silly.

“What happened?” I asked Jason who was one of the guys hovering over Brian. Jason was in Go Radio. The band was good friends with The Summer Set. I noticed that Brian was unconscious and I immediately checked for a pulse. It was there, slow but there.

“He just walked over to Connor and punched him and started yelling at him. The next thing I knew Connor was beating the shit out of him,” Jason explained. I figured Brian had punched him because of me, which made me feel so much worse.

“I’ll go get someone from the first aid tent,” Jess volunteered and ran off without another word. Where the hell was Connor if he had done this to Brian? I wanted to find him and talk some sense into him and probably hurt him, but I needed to stay with Brian even if he was mad at me.

A few moments later, Jess came back with a lady who had a first aid shirt on. Jason explained to her what had happened. Two of the guys managed to move Brian from the merch tent to the first aid tent without a problem. Tons of people stared at the unconscious Brian. Some people gasped when they saw who it was, but we kept moving.

They set him down on one of the portable beds in the tent and a few people started to work him. “We’re gonna need to ask you to leave until we’re done,” the lady told us. I was about to fight her on it, but Jess pulled me away before I could say anything. I waited outside the tent while John went to go announced to the crowd that they would now be playing that day.

After John got back, someone came out and told us that he was awake and doing well. I almost kissed her I was so happy. We all went in, me at the front. I needed to see and know he was ok.

As soon as he saw me walk in, he looked away. I take it Connor hadn’t told him what had actually happened. We all stayed for a little bit until Jess suggested that they go get food from catering. I could tell she was trying to give Brian and I some time alone, which was really nice.

“Why’re you still here?” he asked in an aggravated tone. He looked away from me like I disgusted him or something. It made me feel so alone inside the way he was acting.

“Because I love you and I wouldn’t cheat on you no matter what. You’re the only good thing in my life and I wouldn’t screw that up. I wish you would just give me a chance to explain,” I replied my voice cracking on the last sentence. I felt tears well up in my eyes for the second time that day.

“Fine. Explain,” he told me flatly. I still didn’t look at me, but at least he was willing to listen. All I needed was a few minutes and hopefully he would understand.

“Ok. I was helping Connor with the merch, like I always do. He was talking, but I was in a bad mood so he asked me if I was ok and I told him I was fine. And then... then he kissed and that’s when you showed up. I was gonna push him away and yell at him, but when you showed up I didn’t have the chance. And I’m sorry. I don’t like Connor that way and I wouldn’t put you through that and I love you,” I explained. The story was pretty pathetic even though it happened. 

He finally looked at me. Maybe it was the ‘I love you’ that made him believe me. “Is that really what happened?” he asked obviously still a bit hurt. I nodded because I started crying again. He reached a hand out and put it on my my knee. “Don’t cry, babe. I believe you. Connor told me it wasn’t your fault, but I didn’t really believe him, but I trust you and if you say that’s what happened, that’s what happened,” he told.

I felt a huge smile spread across my face and I wrapped my arms around his neck. God, I loved him.

“And I love you, too,” he added before laying his lips on mine.