Every Night With You

Brian picked me up at 7:30 that night. I had spend about 15 minutes trying to pick out what to wear. I finally decided on a pink and white striped tank top that had a drawing of a dreamcatcher on it, cutoff shorts, and flip-flops. He was right on time and as soon as I heard the buzz of the doorbell, I ran out of my room. 

“Hey,” I greeted as I opened the door. “You wanna meet Julia?” I asked as I stepped aside to let him in.

“Uh, sure,” he responded. He walked in the apartment and looked around taking in everything. Our apartment was just like your usual apartment. A couch, a TV, a small kitchen, a table, your usual stuff.

“I promise she’s not drunk,” I joked causing Brian to smile. That smile drove me crazy. He was just so cute.

Julia then strolled into the living room. I had told her about Brian and I think she was kind of dying to meet him. “Brian, this is Julia,” I introduced.

“Nice to meet you,” Brian told her putting on a smile. I could tell she was impressed. I mean, Brian was cute and better than that he seemed to be looking for a long term relationship unlike most of the guys Julia went for.

We chatted for a while until Brian said we should get going so that we would have time for dinner before the movie. We said our goodbyes and made our way down to his car. The butterflies in my stomach were going wild. I hadn’t been on a date in so long.

He drove to restaurant that we had planned to go to and parked the car. He got out and ran around to get my door. I smiled at his thoughtfulness. He just kept impressing me. We walked in and were seated. We ordered and the waitress. The whole time I was trying to think of something to say. I had always been terrible at dating.

Somehow we ended up talking all through dinner. I found out practically his whole life story, which was fine by me. I found out that he was a vegetarian, that he was the lead singer in a band called The Summer Set, and that he loved Disney. I felt like I could talk to him forever. It felt so easy to talk to him; like I had known him for a lot longer than two days.

After dinner, we went to the movie theatre and he bought our tickets. The movie wouldn’t start for another half hour so he bought us popcorn and sodas and we found seats. We talked nonstop until the movie came on. We settled in for the movie and watched contently.

I reached in the cardboard bucket that contained the popcorn and felt something that was definitely not popcorn. His hand was warm and soft and just touching it sent tingles up my arm. I looked over at him to see a smile on his face. I almost melted because of the way he was looking at me. We both went back to watching the movie, but I couldn’t get his touch and the way he looked at me off my mind. 

I think I was falling in love.

************

When the movie was over, we got in his car and he drove me home. I wished that the date didn’t have to be over. I had had more fun tonight than I had had in ages. 

When we got to my apartment building, he offered to walk me up. As we walked, we were quiet. I was willing him not to say goodbye. I knew that we would eventually come to my door and he would have to go, but I didn’t want it to over. When we got to my door, he asked me to put my number into his phone so we swapped phones. Afterwards we stood silent again for a while again. I began searching my bag for my key until he said, “Maya.” I looked up. The way he said my name was beautiful.

Before I could ask what, his lips were on mine. They were so soft and the kiss was so perfect. We kissed for a good few moments and as soon as he took his lips off of mine, I wished they would come back. Everything about him seemed to be amazing.

He was driving me crazy. Even after he left, all I could think about was how he kissed me and how he looked at me and how perfect he was.

Then I realized that Julia was nowhere to be found.