The Best Of Friends

I woke up the next morning to the smell of coffee and the smell of pancakes. I smiled happy that Julia had gotten home safely. I climbed out of bed. I grabbed some clothes and hopped in the shower. After I was out of the shower, I changed and joined Julia in the kitchen. 

"Hey," she greater. She flipped a pancake at the stove. There was already a plate with three pancakes and a glass of orange juice at my seat.

"Good morning. What time did you get in?" I asked taking my seat and digging in. Julia was defiantly the cook between the two of us. 

"About two hours ago," she responded. I dropped my fork on my plate. It was eleven now. What the hell was she doing till nine in the morning. 

"I'm sorry I made you worry last night. How did your date go?" she questioned changing the subject. I was still on the fact that she was out all night. I was suddenly sure that she had slept with someone again. She was way too happy to not have. 

"It was really good. Two of his bandmates were having a small party so we stopped by there after dinner and his friends are so nice," I responded picking up my fork again. Last had went really well and was hoping he'd text me about another date soon. 

"That's awesome. It must be getting pretty serious if he's introducing you to his friends," she told me raising her eyebrows suggestively. I rolled my eyes at her. 

"It's two dates. That's not serious," I replied with a sigh. I would love it to be serious, but you really couldn't call knowing someone for three days serious. 

"Three if you count the night you met him," she countered. I rolled my eyes again. She was relentless. I knew she just wanted me to be happy, but she could be pushy. 

"Ok whatever. What did you do last night?" I questioned. I was not about to let her stay out until nine without getting a play by play of get night. 

"Oh, your normal stuff," she replied obviously not wanted to talk about it. She fiddled with her fork and looked down at her plate. 

"Was he cute?" I asked. I meant the guy she had slept with because it was obvious she had done soothing besides sleep last night. 

"Who?" She questioned obviously trying to avoid the subject. I could tell by the way she wouldn't look at me that she knew exactly what I meant. 

"The guy you slept with. And don't lie to me and tell me you didn't sleep with anyone because I know you did," I told her sternly. We usually didn't keep secrets. We had been friends practically since birth. 

I saw her blush and look down again. "Yeah, he was cute," she answered. She couldn't hide anything from me. I knew her too well. 

"What's his name?" I wondered putting another forkful of food in my mouth. Julia really did know how to make good pancakes even if she did sleep around. 

"Matt. He even asked me for my number before I left this morning, so maybe he'll call me," she replied excitedly. Julia truly believed that every guy she slept with and asked for her number afterwards would call her back. She always got upset when they call her back. 

"That's great, Jul," I told her. I didn't want to be the one who told her that he probably wouldn't call back and that she would be heartbroken just like last time. 

"I know," she told me excitedly. She stood up and took her plate to the sink still beaming. I loved her, but she never learned. Between the drinking and the sleeping with people, something bad was bound to happen.