Start A Fight

When I got back to our apartment, Julia took the pregnancy test. I was pacing our living room trying to wait patiently for the results. I didn’t really think I wanted to know what it said. Even though it wasn’t my baby, I knew I would be helping out a lot with it.

“It’s been five minutes. I think it should be done,” Julia announced and walked back to the bathroom. I suddenly realized that I was holding my breath.

“It’s...positive,” she told me as I looked over her shoulder. I felt like I might be the one puking next. I knew Julia was not going to step up and be a good mom. I knew that was mean, but I knew it was truth. “What am I gonna do?” I heard her murmur.

“Well, do you know who the father is?” I questioned a little angrily. If Julia didn’t drink so much and sleep around so much maybe she wouldn’t be pregnant.

“I don’t know...” she replied trailing off. She looked around a little embarrassed. She knew what she was doing was fucked up I could tell.

“Well, maybe if you didn’t sleep with every guy who said hi to you, you’d know,” I shouted a little more loudly and angrily than I meant. I had had enough of Julia’s shit and I wasn’t gonna let her ruin my life anymore. I was done watching her get hammered every night. I was done having to worry about her when I was out. I was done with her depending on.

“Are you saying I’m a slut?” she asked matching my tone. The look on her face could only be described as outrage. After all these years, I couldn’t take her anymore.

“Yeah, I am. You sleep with a different guy almost every night. To me, that’s a slut. I’m sorry that you don’t have the class to not sleep with everyone who has a dick,” I yelled. I couldn’t believe that she really didn’t see her error. She was sleeping with everyone who laid an eye on her. How could she think that was ok?

She didn’t even try to defend herself. She just huffed and ran off to her room. I went to my own room not bothering to clean up the mess in the bathroom. I couldn’t believe that Julia was acting so childish. She acted like she had just turned twenty-one or something. I put in my earbuds and let the sounds of Congratulations by Sleeping With Sirens fill my ears and take over my brain. I needed to try to calm myself down after that fight and I knew music was the only way to do it.

After a few hours of just sitting on my bed and listening to music, I looked at the time and saw it was almost 5:45. Brian would be here on about fifteen minutes. I was so not in the mood to go out, but it would be nice to talk to him. Maybe he could help me with this huge problem. I quickly changed into an Anthem Made t-shirt and skinny jeans. I was barely finished changing when I heard a knock on the door. I ran to get it after slipping into flip flops.

“Hey,” Brian greeted when I opened the door. He wore a Mickey Mouse t-shirt, skinny jeans, sneakers, and a huge smile. I was glad that what had happened at the CVS hadn’t made things too awkward.

“Hi,” I replied quickly grabbing my purse and making a beeline to get out of my apartment. I really could not stand to be there any longer. You could practically feel the tension in the air.

When we got to the restaurant, we were seated and given menus. I figured out what I wanted and fiddled with my finger nails.

“You ok?” Brian asked noticing my tenseness. He placed his menu on top of mine and looked at me with concern.

“Sort of,” I told him. As much as I hoped he would help me, I wasn’t sure if I was ready to talk about. I was still pretty worked up.

“You wanna talk about?” he questioned. Something inside of me told me I should tell him because it would feel good to get it off my chest.

“Well, you know how I was buying those pregnancy test for Julia? Well, it turns out she’s pregnant and I asked her if she knew who the father was and she said no. Well, pretty much I ended up calling her a slut and told her she had no class,” I told him with a sigh. Saying it all out loud felt good, but it made me sound like a jerk.

He looked at me with wide eyes. “Do you really think she’s a...slut?” he asked obviously not wanting to put my friend down.

“Well, kinda, yeah. She sleeps with someone different practically every night. And to be honest, I’m getting tired of looking out for her and having to worry about her,” I replied slowly. I sighed. I sounded like such a bad friend.

“Well, maybe you should tell her that. Maybe she just needs push in the right direction. Maybe if she knew how much it bothered you, she’d stop. I mean, you guys are best friends,” he told me. He was right of course. I should tell her how I felt and maybe she would stop.

“You’re right. I should try to help her,” I said more to myself than him. I shook my head as I replayed our fight in my head.

Suddenly, my phone started playing There’s No Such Thing As Accidental Infidelity by You Me At Six signaling that someone was calling me. I searched my bag for it and miraculously found it before it stopped ringing. I told Brian sorry before answering it.

“Hello, is this Maya Lawrence?” an unfamiliar voice asked on the other end. Who the hell was calling me that knew my name.

“Yes. Who are you?” I asked a bit rudely I might add. I wasn’t in the mood for a prank call or something like that.

“I’m from St. Jude’s hospital. You’re friend Julia Myers has been in a car accident. She said that she had no family and to call you, so we’ll need you over here as soon as possible,” the lady told me. I almost choked on my own spit when she said car accident. I know I was mad at Julia, but that didn’t change the fact that she was my best friend.

“I need to go to the hospital,” I told Brian hanging up the phone and then I practically sprinted to the car.