Hit Me With Your Punch-Drunk Love

AN: This chapter's dedicated to radical23 for requesting this story!

I was sitting at the bar and watching my best friend, Julia, get drunk. I played with the straw of my own drink. I didn’t drink much myself, but I figured if I had to watch Julia get hammered every Friday night, I should have a bit of fun myself. Julia was one of those girls who had a pretty terrible life. Every guy she every dated abused her, her dad left when she was three, and she had no plans to do anything in the future. 

“Your the best friend ever, Maya,” Julia cried very drunkenly. “I’m gonna go talk to that HOT guy over there,” she added yelling the word hot so the guy could hear her. He had been eyeing Julia for about fifteen minutes and shot her a grin. She ran happily away to go talk to the new guy of the night.

I sat on my bar stool alone and played with the strap of my tank top. I had been a scorcher today considering we lived in Arizona. I was honestly getting tired of this new routine with Julia. Suddenly, someone sat down on the stool next to me where Julia had been sitting. I looked over discreetly to see who had sat down. Next to me was a guy with light brown hair and green eyes. He was pretty cute. I didn’t say anything to him, though. I wasn’t that kind of person. I was more of the shy and quiet type.

“Is that your friend?” the guy suddenly questioned gesturing to Julia. I was surprised by the question just simply because I wasn’t the type of girl guys talk to at bars. It’s not that I’m ugly, but I’m not beautiful. I have long straight brown and brown eyes. I have a nose ring and a tattoo of peace sign on my wrist. I’m pretty thin. There’s nothing particularly special about my looks.

“Um...yeah,” I answered. I continued to play with the straw in my drink, but this time it was out of nervousness instead of boredom. 

“She seems nice,” he told me. It me laugh. That was not really the way to describe Julia at the moment. Loud and obnoxious would be more accurate

“If you say so,” I murmured. I took a sip of my drink. On the outside, I was calm, but innerly I was freaking out. Why the hell was a good looking guy talking to me. Of all the decent looking girls, why me?

He was silent for awhile and so was I. I had no idea what to say next. Finally, he broke the silence. “I’m Brian, by the way,” he told me. 

“Maya,” I answered. I could feel him looking at me so I turned to look back at him. We stared into each other’s eyes for awhile and I realized that his eyes were the most beautiful color I had ever seen. Suddenly, I wondered if he was thinking the same about mine, but I doubted it. My eyes were just the regular brown.

Suddenly, he broke his gaze. “Well, Maya, can I buy you another drink?” he asked gesturing towards my glass which only had a few sips left in it.

I smiled. A guy had never offered to buy me a drink before. I had a feeling there was something special about Brian. “Sure,” I answered. I couldn’t tell if the alcohol was kicking in or if this guy I just met buying me a drink really did feel right.