Wait It Out Till This Is Over

On the way to the hospital, I filled Brian in on what had happened. As soon as we got the hospital, I jumped out of the car and ran in. I approached the desk and asked them about Julia. The lady said she was in the ICU and only immediate family could see her now, but she’d inform me when I could go see her.

We were in the waiting room for what felt like days, but it was only about an hour. What if she wasn’t ok? What if she died? I would feel so bad if she died mad at me. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself. And what about the baby?

“Julia Myers,” a doctor announced coming out into the waiting room. I jumped up at the sound of her name. I felt lie I might throw up. I was praying for good news.

“Is she ok?” I asked hopefully. Brian was standing next to me. I noticed that he had slipped his hand into mine, which was a first. We had never held hands, but I think he could sense that I needed him there. I smiled at the way his hand felt in mine.

“She’s ok. She’s got quiet a bit of bruises and scars, but she’s going to be ok. As for the baby, though, I’m sorry to say that she lost it,” he informed me. I let out a breath. Even though I was a bit upset about the baby, I was relieved that Julia was ok. “Does Julia drink a lot?” he asked suddenly.

“What? Yeah, she drinks a lot. She gets drunk almost every night,” I responded a little confused. What the hell did that have to do with anything?

“Well, her blood alcohol content was about .45%, which is way over the driving limit and is almost a dangerous level. If she does this almost every night, I think she’s an alcoholic and she should go to rehab,” he told me with sadness in his eyes. I stomach sank. I had always kind of thought that she had an alcohol problem myself, but I never mentioned it because I knew if I did, she would say that she was fine.

“Can we see her?” I asked impatiently pushing all the alcoholic thoughts out of my mind. I really just wanted to see her and make sure with my own eyes that she was ok.

“Yes. Room 114,” he answered. As soon as he the room, I was dragging Brian down the hall and into the room.

At first no one said anything. Julia avoided my gaze and Brian sat down awkwardly. I wish I could take back what I had said earlier.

“What happened?” I questioned finally breaking the silence. She played with her fingers in her lap and didn’t look at me.

“I was drunk and I was driving and I slammed into another car,” she explained bluntly. What the fuck was she thinking? Drinking while she was pregnant? I suddenly started to get angry. She was so irresponsible.

“Why were drinking? You were pregnant. It’s not good for the baby,” I told her trying to contain my anger. I had quite a short temper so it was hard to stay calm.

“What do you mean ‘were’?” she asked confused. Well, I guess no one told her that she lost the baby.

“The doctor told me that you lost the baby. I thought you knew...” I replied trailing off. I had so not wanted to be the one to tell her. I wasn’t sure if she would be happy because it was yet another responsibility she had gotten out of or sad because it was her baby.

“Oh,” was all she said. She looked down at her lap and blink fiercely. I saw a single tear fall down her cheek. She was actually upset. She was actually being an adult about this.

“I’ll leave you two alone,” Brian mumbled standing up and walking out of the room. I had almost forgotten he was there he was so quiet.

“I’m sorry about earlier, Jul. I’m just getting tired of having to take care of you and worry about you all the time. I feel like I’m your mother sometimes. I want to have a life of my own, but I can’t because when I go out by myself I just end up worrying that you’ll die or something will go bad while I’m out,” I told her as soon as Brian was out of the door. It felt good to get that off my chest. I really needed to tell her that like Brian had said.

“I’m sorry, too. You’re right, though. I act like a child. I need to grow up and I think I’ll have to now. I don’t want anything like this to happen again,” she said quietly wiping away her tears. I got up from my chair and wrapped her in a tight hug. She hugged back.

“Did the doctor tell you about your blood alcohol content?” I asked pulling away and sitting back down. I didn’t want to have tell her about this either, but it didn’t look like I had a choice.

“No. No one’s really told me anything,” she responded with a concerned and worried look on her face. I had never seen her so serious.

“He said it was an almost dangerous level and suggested that you to rehab after you get out of here,” I told her breaking the news. She didn’t look as shocked as I thought she would. She actually nodded like she agreed.

“He’s right. I can go long without craving a drink and I’ve been like this for years now. I need help,” she agreed. Now, I was the shocked one. Julia, the fun, playful, unserious Julia, had just agreed to rehab. She was really trying to change.

“I’m just so glad your ok,” was all I could say and I hugged her again. I loved that girl like a sister even if I had been pretty terrible.