Monsters In Your Bed

About a week later, I was sitting in front of the TV hoping Brian would text or call me. I was free that night and I was hoping he was too so we could go out. We had been going out almost every night and I had finally been enjoying myself again. Being with Brian made me feel free. I forgot about all the responsibilities I had when I was with him.

Suddenly, I heard a noise over the sound of the TV. It sounded like someone throwing up. I muted the TV and listened. I stood up and headed over to the bathroom. The door was closed, which meant Julia was in there.

“Jul, you ok?” I asked knocking on the door. There was no answer so I just opened the door. She was on the floor over the toilet puking up enough to be everything she ate in the last week. I didn’t even want to think of what was wrong with her. I was hoping she wasn’t too sick, though. I mean, she was my best friend, I didn’t want her to be sick.

I rushed over to her and held her hair back. She was done in a few moments and she stood up. She washed her face and got a drink from the bathroom sink. “What the hell did you eat?” I questioned not really expecting an answer. 

She just shook her head and answered, “Nothing out of the ordinary. I had eggs for breakfast and a ham sandwich for lunch.” She shook her head again and walked out of our tiny bathroom.

“Well, then why did you just puke up everything you’ve ever eaten?” I asked. She seemed to be hiding something from me. I could sense it. I followed her out if the bathroom. 

“I don’t know. Maybe it was all the alcohol from last night,” she responded with a shrug. When she got to the kitchen, she got a glass from cabinet and poured herself some orange juice skillfully avoiding my eyes.

“Really? I’ve never heard of someone throwing up the day after they-”

“I think I’m pregnant. Ok, Maya. There you go,” she cried out interrupting me mid-sentence. I looked at her with wide eyes. Somewhere deep down inside I had thought that she might be, but hearing her say it made it so much more real.

“Did you take a test?” I wondered sitting down at the kitchen table. As much as I believed her, I wanted to make sure she was right.

“No, but I’m late and after that I’m pretty sure,” she responded with a sigh. She sat down across from me and sipped her juice.

“Well, I’m gonna go get you a test and then if it’s positive, you’re making a doctors appointment,” I told her. If she was pregnant I wasn’t gonna let her not go to the doctors. No matter if she wanted the baby or not, she was having it.

I left the apartment without waiting for her response and headed for our local CVS. I grabbed a box of pregnancy test hoping no one I knew saw me because I didn’t need people thinking I was the pregnant one.

I got in line and waited for my turn. Soon, it was my turn and just as I was about to hand the lady my money there was a tap on my shoulder. I spun around to see Brian behind me. I innerly groaned. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to see him, it was just that I didn’t want to see him here; not in the process of buying my best friend pregnancy test.

“Hey,” he greeted with a wide smile. I pasted on a smile of my own to hide the fact that I really didn’t want to see him there.

“Hi,” I responded. I tried to hide the counter with my body. The last thing I needed him to think was that I was cheating on him and had gotten pregnant. I wasn’t really sure if you could call it cheating though, since we had only know each other for less than two weeks and I really didn’t think anything was official yet.

Me moving seemed to be his cue to peer at the counter. “It’s not for me,” I told him quickly as he raised his eyebrows. I felt my cheeks get hot. God, this could’ve went better.

“Oh, ok. Good,” he murmured. I couldn’t tell if he was hurt or just trying to think who they could be for. I handed the lady my money and stepped aside. She rang Brian up and he paid.

“Who are they for, then?” he questioned curiously after he had paid. I really thought it would be better to not tell anyone until we were sure, but I couldn’t lie to him.

“Julia,” I told him reluctantly. If Julia found out that I had told him, I’d be dead faster than she could grow a baby bump. He just nodded his head like he had kind of expected it. 

He started to walk out the door and I followed him. We started to walk to his car. He had incidentally parked right next to me. “Um, you free tonight?” he asked. The whole topic of pregnancy seemed to make everything awkward.

“Yeah,” I responded happily. I could feel my smile return, but this time it was really. It would be nice to forget about Julia and the baby for a night.

“Ok. I’ll pick you up at six?” he said making it sound like a question to make sure six was ok for me. I nodded and we said goodbye.

We got in our cars and as soon as I sat down all I could think was please let this be a false alarm.