Eight

I was ready fifteen minutes ahead of time and I looked much better than I felt, hopefully. I stared at myself in the mirror wondering how I was ever going to be able to wear this outfit in public. The shorts were one move away from being absolutely indecent. I had double tied those knots, believe me.

It had taken me a few minutes to get the sides on the harness adjusted so they would hook into the waistband of the shorts

It had taken me a few minutes to get the sides on the harness adjusted so they would hook into the waistband of the shorts. Otherwise, it wasn't much different than the one I'd worn before except it was a bit less strappy. It was simple. The lead hung down and I tucked it into the pocket of the shorts. There, that was better. Maybe.

I decided that having Greg there would make it fine; I did lots of things with him that I never thought I would. I didn't have a choice, he'd told me to. I stopped worrying about it and pulled on a pair of loose sweatpants and put on a zippered hoodie per his suggestion, then sat down on the couch to wait.

I reread the entire page of jotted down instructions he'd given me, pressing it into my hand as I had put on my shoes to leave earlier. I didn't understand why he'd felt the need to be so thorough when he rarely told me anything until I read the part that he wouldn't have his phone on him. Of course, club rules. They'd been allowed during the social but this was an official club night and they would all be handed over. A ball of nervous energy started to form until I realized that I had everything I needed in my hand. He'd known. He'd known I would panic and overthink it and he'd taken care of it. I smiled to myself.

Half an hour later I pulled up to the parking lot but was turned away by the attendant. 'Full' he said as he pointed across the street. Greg had warned me so I didn't hesitate, just did a three-point turn and found a spot easily. The guard they had posted in the corner would have probably scared me senseless if I hadn't been warned. Again I sent a silent thanks to Greg for making sure I was alright.

As soon as I got out I realized that I would never be out of sight of either the guard in the back or the one just across the street. I gave a quick sigh of relief that they took security so seriously and waved to the man in the back as I quickly crossed over. The attendant smiled and gave me a slight nod and I walked over to the door where there was a short line.

"Name?" the bouncer asked.

"Chris Stevenson."

He looked over the list, then flipped back to the front page. "I don't have a Chris. With anyone?"

"Gregory Clemens."

"Doc Greg?" he asked, his finger trailing down until it stopped where I assumed Greg's name was. I nodded. "You're not on here, step to the side please. Give me a minute."

There were a few people behind me and he took care of letting the group inside, taking their phones. I looked at mine, checking the time. It was already 10:37, I was late because of traffic and the line. I should have left earlier but he would come and check on me in three minutes, it said so on my note.