41

Walking down the steps makes my heart beat faster, my hands get clammy, and my wolf does not know what to do. Of course she wants a chance to go up against the alpha himself but she does not know if I am ready.

"Melany," the hurt in Hunter's voice almost stops me.

"I'll be fine." I glance back and Hunter is standing where I left him Andrew helps him take a seat. I look back at the arena and Derek is unbuttoning his shirt and he throws it to the side. His perfectly sculptured body stands before me as his muscle constricts. He bounces on his toes as he prepares himself. His eyes dart to the side and I look in that direction.

His father walks out and stands on the side looking at his son and then he looks up at the bleachers looking for his opponent. His eyes widen when he sees that I am making my way down.

I step off the bleachers and walk towards Derek. Zeke comes forth, "This fight is Alpha Blake against Alpha Storm," Zeke announces and he sounds nothing like his brother. His voice seems monotone no life in it.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Derek asks.

"I'm here aren't I," I snap at him.

Keep it down Miss. Sassy.

He stretches his hand out for me to shake but I just stare at it. He slowly puts it down.

"You know that is a sign of disrespect to leave someone's hand in the air."

"You don't say." I roll my eyes.

Just because you can't shift doesn't mean that I can't help you.

"Three...Two...One...Go!" Zeke yells.

Derek does not hesitate and neither do I. Derek's fists flies to my face and my body jerks back and my fist goes to his cheek. He is quick as well dodging my hit.

"You're fast," he smiles.

"As well as you are," he lunges at me and I feel my wolf throw me to the side as his body falls to the ground he is back on his feet in seconds.

"Faster than I thought."

"I bet you thought I was going down without a fight," his eyes darken as his wolf surfaces.

"I will not be made a fool out here." He runs at me and this time he is faster his shoulder connects with my abdomen as he sends me down to the ground. My back hits the ground hard sending every ounce of air in my body out of my mouth. I fight to breathe as his shoulder digs deeper into my ribcage. A horrifying pain surfaces as a bone cracking sounds erupts within me.

"Melany," I do not have to turn to know it is Hunter. I fight with every ounce of my being not to release the bloodcurdling scream that is at the tip of my tongue but I bite down hard. The only thing I cannot stop is the tears that come down my cheeks.

Derek gets off of me and it gives me a chance to take a deep breathe.

He's going to get it now! My wolf jumps to my core and all her anger courses through me.

Derek is on his feet but my wolf makes me sweep my leg under him sending him tumbling down. A growl escapes my tight lips as Derek eyes connect with mine. I get up fast from the ground but my arm wraps around my ribs cradling them. Derek eyes go to my ribs. I have exposed my wound to him. That is that stupidest thing to do show your opponent that you're hurt.

"Melany," Hunter growls but he is clearly hurting. He cannot help me. I take my chance and look up towards Hunter he is being held back by Andrew, Calvin, and Ken. Hunter looks defeated.

My wolf is heightening my senses I am still looking at Hunter but I can feel Derek closing in on me but there is no fear in me. Once he is close enough to me his fist comes speeding to my face once again.

My wolf is ready for it.

Melany become your animal self. Let me take care of him.

With that I let my wolf take over my body. It is like an out of body experience I am watching everything unfold before me but I cannot control what I do.

Derek's fist is about an inch away from my face when my wolf snaps my hands up and they wrap around his forearm. My grip tightens around his arm and his eyes widen. My wolf twists his arm and for Derek not to break it he turns his back facing me. I press his arm against his back and push it as high as it could go. My wolf moves back to her spot letting me take over my body.

"Urrrgh!" He groans and closes his eyes tightly holding in the pain. His breathing is coming in rapidly.

"You messed with the wrong alpha!" I kick the back of his knees as he drops to his knees his arm still press tightly to his back. I hear a gasp come the bleachers.

"She's beating him?" I hear someone say.

My free hand sweeps under his chin Derek's breathing is slowing. My hand grips his chin roughly. "I can snap your neck right now and prove that you are not as mighty as you think," I let go of his chin but my other hand still holds his arm tightly. "But instead I will shame you in front of your entire pack." His eyes widen I release him and while he is still on his knees I give him a hard kick to his back.

Derek's cheek hits the ground. "Oh my God," Someone screams.

"Next time don't underestimate your opponent." This time Derek isn't as fast to get up. Once on his feet his angry eyes go to me. "Are we done?" Derek's eyes go to his father, he hangs his head in defeat his son has disappointed him.

"We're done." He says it as if the words are poison to him. Zeke comes rushing to aid his Alpha. They walk off the arena towards the castle.

Calvin and Hunter run down the steps as everyone else sits in their seats unsure of what to do. Hunter runs to me and wraps his arms around me pulling me close to him. I feel safe in his arms.

"Your winner is Alpha Blake." Calvin shouts and the applause starts off slow at first but then the cheers and shout follow after Andrew's chant.

"Melany! Melany!"

Hunter's lips are by my ear so I can hear him over the noise. "I never doubted you for a second." I pull away from him so I can see his face.

"That makes one of us." He gives me a grin and then pulls me close kissing me before everyone. The hooting starts and I can feel my cheeks ablaze.

"Come let's get you clean up."

We showed him, didn't we?

Yes we did.

Derek and Zeke are nowhere to be seen but for the moment that doesn't matter. Andrew is jumping around not sure of what to do but his goofy smile makes me smile as well. I am happy with Hunter and my friends by my side.

Hopefully Derek now understands that he and I are two completely different types' alphas.