25

The vibration in my pajama pants wakes me. Sighing I sit up and pull the phone out of my pocket. Unlocking the phone the light irritates my eyes I answer quickly.

"Hello." I want to punch whoever disrupts my sleep since I hardly get any.

"Hunter, sorry to bother you but we can really use a ride."

I pull the phone away from my ear and squint to look at the time it is four in the morning.

"Yea, I'll go. Who's with you?" I turn to look at Melany she looks so peaceful.

"Just Angie, Ken, and me," I am careful as I get out of bed.

"I'll be there in a few minutes." I hang up and change quickly into my earlier clothes. As I button my shirt I hear the bed creak and I turn to see Melany getting into a more comfortable position. I walk over to her and kiss her temple.

"I'll be back in a few." I grab the keys and jog down stairs. Mel's car is right in front of me I jump in and drive to get them. Normally I would not do this but Andrew is Melany's best friend and Ken is my beta.

The sun is not out yet but the clouds in the sky are ever present. The clouds are full of promise of an upcoming storm.

I step on the gas wanting to get back to Melany before she notices that I left. Getting to the club Andrew and Ken are talking outside both of them swaying unbalance. Angie is next to Andrew resting her head on his shoulders and Andrew holding her up to his best ability.

Andrew sees me as I pull up and waves at me. I park in front of them and they all climb in.

"Andrew, can you see if Melany is still asleep?" My eyes go to the rearview mirror as I take a quick glance at Andrew.

"Sure...she's still asleep." He relaxes back into the seat as Angie relaxes into Andrew's shoulder.

I drive at a reasonable speed when I catch up to a car going at a more relax pace. The car is a grey Nissan Altima. My fingers drum away at the steering wheel as the driver makes no motion of speeding up.

My grandmother walks faster than this.

I am irritated because I left Melany all alone and all I want is to get back to her side.

There is no way for me to pass him so I stay where I am. The road is slippery and the car in front of me starts swerving out of control.

"What the hell?" I slam on the brakes and watch in terror as the car in front of my crashes into a tree. Angie screams a blood curling scream startling Andrew into an upright position.

"What happen?" Andrew unbuckles his seatbelt and is between Ken and I. Ken is out cold in the passenger seat.

"I don't know I'm going to check if they're okay. Calm her down." My eyes go to Angie in the mirror and she looks a bit shaken by the event.

Opening the door a cold breeze hits me like a train. I get out quickly.

Maybe he fell asleep.

Maybe.

I walk over to the driver's side and the window is fogged up. I knock on the glass hoping for a response there is nothing.

"Are you okay?" My hand goes to the door handle and I pull it open. All the air in me gushes out. There is a girl sitting there smiling at me.

"Adrian Hunter," I step back, how does she know me?

"Get out of the car." I look back and Angie and Andrew are being force out of the car as Ken is being dragged out by some men. There is a stabbing pain at my neck. My hands flies to it and my fingers wrap around an object. I pull it out and a syringe comes into my view.

Everything around me starts spinning and my vision starts blurring around the edges.

What did she do?

I cannot move. My body is not responding to my mind.

"Hunter!" Andrew yells at me and I want to look at him to make sure that he is okay but I cannot even do that.

My knees give out and my body falls to the ground.

"Hunter," Andrew yells again but it sounds like a whisper to me the only loud sound is my heartbeat beating in my ears. Suddenly the silence engulfs me. The beating of my slowing heart is all I can hear now. The silence makes me fear stricken and immobile. I am a pup. Scared and vulnerable something an alpha should never be but at the moment I cannot change how I am feeling. I cannot fight back my attacker I am just a heap of flesh on the ground waiting to be killed off.

Melany...

I know that she cannot hear me but at this moment I wish that I could have known her much longer than I have.

My thoughts start drifting away from me.

The growls around me make my wolf want to shift and help but my body is not responding. They must be really loud since I am able to hear them.

As the last of my vision is fading I hear it like thunder a gunshot echoes in my ears and suddenly it all goes black and my body goes numb.

What would I give to see those silver eyes one more time?