Chapter 8

*Chads POV*

The ride to Underland is almost unbearable. North won't even let me put on some music to ease the silence.

I try to occupy myself by texting some people and looking for something else to tie Pitch to the kidnapping.

My conversation with Kristoff is pretty funny. It's like he's been hit with an arrow from cupid.

Kristoff has been telling me about this girl he has been seeing for the past four weeks.

He said that her name was Anna, and that she is a dream. The last time I felt that way about anyone was with Toothiana.

People thought we had a secret romance. But that wasn't entirely true. The first time told her that I loved her, was the day she died.

She was planning on leaving NCIS to work with the national security agency. It would've made things possible for...something.

I feel like that I loved her in a..brotherly way. Maybe? But, she's no longer around so, I guess I won't ever know.

But the type of relationship we had before she died. I wouldn't trade any of that for the world.

My phone rings. Finally something to break this uncomfortable silence. "What do you got Jack?"

"Mavis found something on Pitchs laptop. Our suspect, has been buying suspicious tools on his way to Underland. Such as, chains, duck tape and dog food."

"Dog food?"

"Yeah, Elsa thinks it's a cover up. Ask him about it when you get there. See if he lies."

"Please Jack, I'm the best human lie detector there is. There's no way he can get away with lying to me." North half smiles.

"Alright probie" he laughs "just saying. Good luck." Both of us hang up the phone.

A few minutes later, a house comes into view. Then there's a sign, it says Underland, population 2,350.

Finally. We're here. Now all that's left is to find Mr. and Mrs. Mare. "Where do they live again boss?"

"On a ranch outside of town. I've already done the research. They have an extra house on the property. So that may be where Pitch is staying."

I nod my head before speaking again. "How far out of town is it?"

"About twenty minutes Eastmund." I groan, leaning my head back against the seat.

North snickers. That's the most we ever get out of him when it comes to a laugh. "Aw come on. It's not that bad, cheer up."

"It's hard to do that boss when we've already been in this car for eight hours."

"Six. I may have broke the speed limit a few times." I shoot him a look.

"Hey I didn't want to be in this car any longer than I had to be. All I did was put on the lights, and people just let us pass by."

I shake my head and pinch my nose. Sometimes it's like I'm the only adult around here. When it comes to maturity that is.

_________

The ranch is pretty small. Maybe it's a chicken ranch. North and I both get out of the car. We head up the front steps.

I knock on the door first. A moment later, the door opens to a petite woman with black hair and tan skin.

"Can I help you?"

"Federal agents"-North and I both show our badges-"we need to ask you a few questions."

"Okay. What do you need to know?"