Breaking away

I am running. The sun is high. Birds in the sky. I can't believe how blue the sky is. And my heart is free and there is an actual smile playing on my thick lips and my frail face. The street is busy as usual. "Bike! Bike!" The driver stops, startled by my loud voice. I ignore the dirty looks from strangers and just hop on. "Wait. Where are we going?" The driver asks. "Home. I mean, Hillstation."
"That's going to cost you..."
"I know. Let's go."
In the side mirror, I see Reuben. He is almost taller than everyone else in the crowd. He sees me too late, and I see his face clearly, a look of anger mixed with fear. I will never be your slave now. I will never be a slave to anything else. Thank you Reuben. You have saved me.

Mama is not home. Panic sets in. I know Reuben will follow me here, I had hoped Mama would be home to defend me from him. Where will Mama be in a saturday morning? I cannot waste a single minute and I am running again, I have to go to Baloo's right now. I don't care if he's father is there.
There are no cars or anything in sight, but a single bike, "Bi-- midwave, I noticed that familiar face. The passenger was Reuben. I cannot hear what he is saying but he is pointing at me and he looks very angry. I am frozen, but only for a minute. I will not be made into a victim again! I grab a stone by my dusty feet and as he hopped off the bike, I hit him in the face with all my might. The bike driver is so surprised, he falls over with his bike.
Reuben is screaming and clutching his face, a bloody mess on the dusty side-walk. My blood stained hand raised the blood stained stone again, but someone grabs me. "No! Let me go! He raped me! He held me captive for days and raped me! Let me go!! He's a rapist!! People are gathering and helping Reuben, he is bleeding all over the place. "Let us take him to a hospital!"someone says. "Did he rape you really?" Another voice boomed. My strength is gone. "Yes. Look at me. This is my house, but my Mother is not home, I must find her, I must---"
"What is going on?" I know that voice. My strength comes back and I grip my Mama tight, crying loudly but I cannot get the words out. She can only hold me and ask endless questions. The voices continued to chatter. "Is she your mother?" "Someone call the police!" "She said he raped her!" "This man is a rapist!" "This man is dying!"
At that I turned around to see his face, still lying on the ground, a woman is using her lappa to stop the bleeding. And some men pick him up and sit him on the bike. "Take him to Choithram's hospital." The booming voice said again. "This woman will meet you there, is that not so Lady?"
"Reuben-what happened, Eh Lily? What is this?"
It was only then I noticed Mama's red and swollen eyes. She had been crying. And I don't know why. "I hit him with a stone mama, we must take him to the hospital quick."
"But why?!"
"BECAUSE HE RAPED ME MAMA! HE HAS BEEN SINCE YOU BROUGHT HIM INTO MY LIFE! SINCE I WAS EIGHT! Driver, take him there, we are right behind you. "
"We are left in a clowd of dust as mama put her hands on her head, being ever so dramatic. "Not you too! Not my sweet daughter! Oh my God! Dele you have killed me!"
......................I don't know why late uncle Dele, my father's brother and Reuben's father is being blamed here.
"Mama, what are you talking a about?"
"We did not know....I am so sorry! She tries to hold me but I won't have any of that.
"What?!"
"Your Father found out....in Zimbabwe, the girl who died, she was raped and the police found out that she was strangled to death with a belt. She did not die during childbirth. She died because she was going to expose Reuben. My daughter, let me hold you please! I am so sorry.....I am so sorry, oh God forgive me!"
I can't even......she steps towards me and I step back, I am well aware of the 'hmmms' and 'ayes' around me. "How. What? When?"
"Your father found out, he called. Dele had mentioned, he said it. We did not believe it. He was just a child. Curious child. He was fourteen and she was only 3 when they caught him tampering with her. He has been doing this forever. We did not know. We thought it was a phase. What did he do to you? Tell me! We are going to the police. I will let him die for what he has done to you!" So Reuben has been molesting children all his life....me being his star victim....me suffering in silence. He killed a child for fear of being found out, strangulation with a belt........and they left me with him? And now my mama is here, bawling her eyes out.
The police arrive to cut short the live drama, a neighbour had called. My body goes limp again and I black out.