Balogun

Today, I am spending time with Balogun at the beach. He was the boy who stares. We have become good friends. We are celebrating. Celebrating because we have passed well to go into the next class. Him, into form three and I into form two. Its also my birthday; July 3rd. I am fifteen.

I am having the best time! Balogun is amazing in the ocean. He is wonderful at swimming and catching fish. He surprised me with a canoe ride. I have never been in one before.

It is already late as I come home. Well into the evening. I know mama won't care much as long as I come home. I am taken aback as I walk into our home, and face my father. Papa sits there eating rice and cassava leaves. He looks up as I step in. I thought he was in Namibia...

''Where are you from?'' He asks adjusting his thick frames.
''I was at the beach with friends...'' I replied twisting the truth a little. The last thing I need is a stranger disciplining me.
He looks satisfied with my answer and without a word, I handed in my report card. He took it quietly and studied it under the soft glow of the single candlelight. ''You did well...''
''Thank you...''
He took a pen from his chest pocket and quickly signed my card and handed it back to me.
''Goodnight...I have to go to bed now.'' I say. I am already on my way. Im glad I don't have to see Mama and I really don't care to know what Papa is doing here.

''Oh! Did I wake you?''
''Maybe...'' said the sleepy voice in my phone.
I laugh apologetically. ''Sorry O Baloo...I wanted to thank you for today...I don't think iv ever had that much fun on my birthday.''
''Don't mention. Really. You're disturbing my sleep.'' Replies Balogun in a cross voice. I can't help lauging. He is so adorably annoying.
''Ok. I'll leave you be. Oh and my Papa is here...''
''He is? Asked a surprised Balogun. Why??''
''Put a gun to my head, I still won't know.''
''What did he say?''
''We did not talk. He just signed my card.''
''Hmmmmm....na waaa ooo'' Balogun teases in a Nigerian acdent.
''Yes. Blah blah blah...you are missing your beauty sleep. Goodnight and goodnight!'' I dismiss him quickly.
''Ok...its the holidays. I hope to see much of you.'' he replies.
''I hope to see much of you too...''
''Goodnight Lilian...''
''Goodnight Baloo...''

The picture is courtesy of John. A dear friend of mine.