Chapter Seventeen

"Hey Frank?" I ask.

"Yeah?"

"I just got a message from my sister asking when I'd be visiting next." I check my phone again, reading the message. She wants to see me. She lives down the street from my parents.

"Well, we can't get back to Virginia for a while. Will a week be ok?" I send her a message asking if a week would be alright. She quickly responds with, 'maybe'. I don't think much of it, and browse through wattpad.

ONE WEEK LATER BECAUSE I'M LAZY

"We're here!" Claire calls out from the kitchen. She must have been watching out the window.

"OK!" I yell back, and grab my luggage, then exit the bus. As I approach the door, I notice a note on it.

'Caroline,

I probably won't answer the door. You know where the spare key is, just come in.'

I quickly lift the welcome mat up, grab the key, and unlock the door. The first thing I notice is a horrible stench. Like copper or some other kind of metal.

I enter the kitchen, searching for my sister, Abby. I don't see her anywhere. She's probably asleep. After climbing the steps, I find her room and open the door.

The normally polished hardwood floors are dark and dusty. The usually spotless white sheets are stained red. And my happy sister, is laying dead on her bed. Her pale wrists are cut badly. Around 30 deep cuts on each. The blood drains from my face and my skin turns paper white.

"Abby," I manage to choke out between sobs. All I want to do is cry. I fall onto the floor and curl up into a ball of sadness, face tucked into my knees. My sister is gone. I'll never see her happy smile or feel her comforting touch again. I hear footsteps approaching, but don't bother to look up at who it is. It could be a serial killer-rapist-thief-spider-creature for all I care.

"Caroline? Are you alright?" a voice outside my sister's door asks. Against all temptation, I avoid looking up. The somebody enters the room and whispers "oh." He or she walks over to me and tries to hug me. I see that it's Frank and even though I want his warm comfort right now, I push him away. He has a look of understanding on his face and leaves the room. He comes back a few minutes later with a box of tissues.

"Are you okay? Do you want to talk?" He asks in a soft voice. I don't answer, unless you count loud, ugly sobs. He nods and sits on the dusty wood floor next to me. After a while I lean into his shoulder, still lightly crying. By now almost all the tears are gone, but I don't feel much better.

"Frank," I say.

"Yea?" He whispers.

"She's gone. She- She's gone," I whimper and begin sobbing even more.

"Shh." His soothing voice calming me as he runs his fingers through my hair. I know he's just trying to make me feel better, but nothing can drown out this pain. I lost my baby, and now my sister. The first time I started cutting, she was there. When I stopped eating, she was there. When my dad did horrible things to me, she was there.

"I miss her..." I whisper to myself.

"She looks just like you." Frank rubs my back, and talks quietly.

"We're twins."

"Oh. I think I knew her." I look up in curiosity.

"How?"

"I'm pretty sure we dated..." He trails off.

"Wait, that means....."

Flashback

"Caroline, I'm home! I brought a guest!" Abby yells, and I hear the front door close. I run downstairs, and see a boy with black hair, bleached on the sides.

"Hi, I'm Frank. Abby's boyfriend." He says. I wave shyly, and stand next to my sister. I introduce myself, then hide back in my room.

Ah hour later, I hear a knock at my bedroom door.

"Come in!" I say loudly. Frank walks in.

"Where's Abby?"

"Your parents needed her to go to the grocery store. So it's just us."

"Oh." He sits on my bed, next to me.

"You're really pretty."

"W-what?" I stutter out.

"You are very pretty."

"No I'm not! And aren't you dating my sister?"

"I am, but I still think you're beautiful."

"Oh, um, thank you." I blush, and I see Frank start to lean in. I panic, but when his lips meet mine, I calm.

Flashback over

"You gave me my first kiss!" I yell. Frank chuckles a little.

"It seems I did. You know, I wasn't lying that day." I blush.

"What even happened to you and my sister?" I can't recall them breaking up.

"When you guys moved to Virginia, we broke up."

"Oh." I look back at my sister, and start to cry again.

"We should probably call the police, and tell your parents."

"I guess..." I sigh and stand up.

Frank and I walk to my parents house while everyone else goes to the police station.

"Oh, it's you." My mother spits as she opens the door.

"Yeah, it's me. And we need to talk." I push past my mother, and sit on the couch, across from the chair my father is sitting in.

"What are you doing here, bitch?" My dad asks very casually. It bothers me how comfortable he is calling me a bitch.

"Abby invited me. Only, when I got there she was dead. She killed herself because of you." I say through gritted teeth.

"How did we make her kill herself?" My father spits back.

"I KNOW WHAT YOU DID TO HER YOU LYING BASTARD! YOU PROMISED THAT IF I KEPT QUIET ABOUT WHAT YOU DID, YOU WOULDNT HURT HER! BUT YOU HURT HER! YOU RAPED HER, JUST LIKE YOU DID TO ME!" I scream at the top of my lungs, grab Frank, then storm out of the house.

"HOLY CRAP!" Frank yells. "Why didn't you tell me about your parents? I wouldn't have let you come near them!"

"I-I don't know. I guess I didn't want you to think I was weak, or vulnerable. I just try to keep it to myself."

"Well don't do that anymore. I want to know how you're feeling all the time. I never want you to be sad, or angry, or anything but happy."

"Thanks Frankie." He wraps an arm around me, and we walk back to the bus together.