The Next Step

Two months later, and the rain hadn't let up a bit. The city was beginning to panic, and crime was going up. Some people were forced out of their homes, due to flooding in their basement. The Kuwabara's had relocated to the temple, as well as Keiko and Yusuke. Kurama had come as well, and much to San's surprise, Kaito, Mitsunari, Kido, and Mitarai. The four humans came to the temple not too long ago, knowing that something was afoot and wishing to help out with whatever was going on. Mitarai was extremely helpful, his control of water keeping the temple from damage. The most unexpected recruit to show up was Sniper. At first, San wasn't sure where his loyalties lied, but she used her telepathic ability to figure it out.

The temple was full, but everyone pitched in to make sure it stayed clean and they had food. The guest rooms were running out, so some had to share with others. Kurama, of course, stayed with San in her room, and she was thoroughly enjoying it, despite the events at foot. The problem was, there wasn't any information to give. San had located Jin and the others, but she was waiting for them to come to the temple. She wasn't going to inform Yomi about anything until the time was right.

During the waiting period, San continued to bring food to the wolves, hoping to gain some more information. They had been stuck in their den, rarely able to hunt with all this rain. San feared they would relocate, but she was sure she'd be able to find them again if they had left. She just hoped that this rain disappeared before long, or else many animals would start to die off. The Earth was crying, and she felt so powerless, being unable to do anything about it.

Kurama did his best to console her, but even he was starting to feel the connection she had with nature, and why it bothered her so. They spent most of their time in her room, planning and plotting. It was much easier when they could bounce ideas off of each other. They couldn't figure out anything to do with the name San heard, Hiroki. They couldn't recall a time when he had ever popped up or anything like that.

San sighed, sitting in her lover's embrace, and continued to look up at the sky. The tarp had been replaced with a much stronger one, and her room felt gross. But she rarely closed the door to her garden, only when it was cold out. Kurama ran his fingers gently up and down her arm, his mind in deep thought. Without the extra information provided by Touya and the others, as well as the wolf clan, all they could do was wait. At this particular day, it was three months since the rain had started, and his family had went on an all expenses paid for vacation at the insistence of his step father's company. Kurama politely declined the invitation, telling his mother he would stay with friends. Besides, it was about time he found a place to live on his own.

"The others will hopefully arrive soon," said Kurama lightly. He didn't get a response. He looked down and noticed she had fallen asleep. He smiled sadly, pulling her blanket over them. She needed to sleep, and with the sky dark, it was always hard to tell what time of day it was. He noticed the others had started to get edgy with each other. Keiko and Yusuke fought, as well as Kuwabara and Shizuru. Hiei had flat out refused to stay at the temple, but Kurama knew that he was around the area, or gathering information in Makai.

The door to the room opened, and Keiko poked her head through it. Kurama looked up expectantly at her.

"Koenma is here. He wants to speak with everyone in the dojo," she said lightly, probably to avoid waking up San. Kurama nodded at her, and she closed the door quietly. He sighed, wishing that he didn't have to wake up his mate. He moved gently so he could see her better, and then began to play with her ear. Her face began to look annoyed, as she moved away from his touch. He continued his efforts, however.

"That's really irritating, Youko," she spoke sleepily. Kurama smiled, knowing it was her natural response from when he used to do this to her all the time. It was the only way he knew of to wake her up without shaking her violently. She opened her tawny eyes and looked at him. His smile was infectious, and she couldn't help but mimic it, "Sorry. Habit."