Wolf Games

Kurama was walking away from the hospital, visiting hours being over now. Usually he would think about his mother and the road he was taking to cure her on the walk home but tonight, the time he spent with San earlier in the day had plagued him. The fox was instantly attracted to her, that much was true. San had been completely cut off from everyday life and he could smell a hint of demon on her. The girl had even revealed herself to be a demon and had told him that she knew he was not what he seemed. It wasn't as if other apparitions were ignorant to him, having dealt with them at a younger age, however, he couldn't shake her from his thoughts, from the conversation they had prior to his hospital visit.

.*.*.

San smiled at the boy called Shuuichi as their food was brought to them. As she reached to fumble for some money, he held up a hand, indicating that he would cover this one. The girl smiled in thanks and then began to eat. They sat in silence for a moment, trying to think of their next move. Kurama was attracted to this mysterious girl with the same tawny eyes of Moriko but he could not do anything that would betray his mate. Still, there was so much to her that he needed to know and something compelled him to dig despite a demon counterpart's feelings.

"Can I tell you something?" she asked suddenly, pulling him out of his thoughts.

"Of course," he replied, his green eyes observing hers calmly.

"I'm not from this world. I also know that you aren't either," she said, very quietly.

"I don't understand..."

"Oh please. I'm sure your nose works as well as mine. I can smell the demon on you and I'm sure most of your interest in me is the fact that there's a hint of demon on me. We're both from Makai, let's not bother hiding it."

"Very well. What do you propose we do about this?"

"Well you clearly you don't want to kill me or you would have already. You're on a mission, I can see it in your eyes. What are you up to?"

Kurama did not react, holding her gaze while trying to figure out what her game was. He definitely was not expecting her to come clean so fast, he figured he would corner her into it but she surprised him and he was actually speechless. Only one person has ever done that to him, his beloved. Quickly shaking out of those thoughts, the pretense of his human exterior dropped and he reverted to his fighter persona, Kurama.

"I'm afraid that's classified," replied Kurama evenly.

"So you are planning something."

The fox didn't react at having been tricked into giving away the information she was seeking. Perhaps he was rusty, having not dealt with wolf games in the last fifteen years. When he took too long to respond she jumped in again.

"I'm much older than I look," she smirked, "And have been scheming longer than that. You're up to something, I wanna know what."

"I assure you, San, there's nothing of interest."

"I'm well trained if that's what you're worried about."

Kurama felt himself repressing a sigh. It wasn't his plan she was really interested in, of that he was sure. No, there was something else she was looking for and the fox wasn't too keen on giving anything of himself away. The only reason he had really come in this far was to make sure that she was not a threat, and to perhaps learn the nature of those tawny eyes. It seemed there was only going to be one way to do that.

"Being trained and fighting are two different things. I may only have a few days to spare in order to gauge your skill and make an informed decision," replied the fox.